Search Target


Employment at a different university or college is considered off-campus employment. You must apply for and receive authorization from the ISSS before you begin any employment activity at a different university or college.

This information is for students who are studying in the United States in F-1 or J-1 status. It covers three subject areas: what you need to do to apply for on-campus employment, where to look for a job on-campus and income tax requirements.

F-1 Transfer students note: F-1 students maintaining lawful status who plan to enroll at a new school for the next academic term may begin on-campus employment no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of classes at the new school, provided that the new school has issued a new form I-20.

J-1 Students note: J-1 students need to obtain work authorization in writing from their sponsoring agency before beginning any employment, on or off campus.

What is on-campus employment?

The federal immigration regulations for on-campus employment only allow for work performed on the Binghamton University campus, including work required by a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship. It may also be work done for an on-campus employer who has a contract to provide services to students including OCCT, Campus Pre-School, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and Binghamton University Dining Services. 

You may also work at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with Binghamton University. This affiliation must be associated with Binghamton University’s established curriculum or be related to a contractually funded graduate-level research project that a program or department at Binghamton University has agreed to perform. Employment at another SUNY school does not comply with the regulations for “On-campus employment.” Come to the ISSS office and check with us to make sure these conditions are met by the position you are considering.

Limitations for on-campus employment:

The maximum number of hours per week you may work from all on-campus employment is 20 hours while classes are in session. For example, if you work 15 hours a week as a graduate or teaching assistant then you can only work five hours during that week at another on-campus job. You may not work 15 hours one week and then work 25 hours another week in the pay period. You also may not work 40 or more hours during any week but only report it in 20-hour increments. This is a federal regulation, and it is essential that you protect your non-immigrant status by complying with it.

During academic breaks and the summer you can work full time provided that you intend to register for the next academic semester.

To apply for on-campus employment, international students must:

  • Maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status.
  • Register for a full-time course load in their field of study
  • If in J-1 status, have the written approval before employment begins from their J-1 responsible officer. This is the person who represents their J-1 sponsor and issues their DS-2019 form. Go online to arrange for written approval if Binghamton University is your exchange program sponsor.

Some places to look for part-time on-campus employment opportunities:
Note that inclusion on this list does not mean that the offices are currently hiring students, only that they have previously hired students for part-time positions.

  • Some on-campus employment opportunities are listed on the hireBING website.

Note: International students are not eligible for positions funded by the Federal Work Study (FWS) Program. FWS positions are restricted to U.S. citizens and permanent residents, because the federal government funds these positions.

  • Binghamton University Dining Services hires students for positions in the residential dining halls, in their retail establishments across campus and in Catering Services. To apply visit their website and apply to the Student Worker position, this title covers all available Student Worker positions. Any other position titles that may be posted do not have flexible hours and will not work around class schedules; therefore students are not eligible. Only online applications are considered, they do not accept emails or resumes in their offices. Student Worker positions are based on availability and therefore may not always be posted on the website. Binghamton University Dining Services also offers opportunities to receive scholarships and textbook reimbursements.
  • Barnes & Noble University Book Store hires part-time workers for a variety of positions, including cashiers, store keepers and customer service personnel. To apply, contact the bookstore at 7607-77-2745. The bookstore is located in the University Union West (under the clock tower).
  • Computing Services hires students on a part-time basis for a variety of positions, including web developer, ResCons, POD and Help Desk consultants, and network interns. You must have good communication skills in English. To apply, go online
  • University Libraries has a very limited number of positions on the temporary service payroll. To apply online visit their website. The Bartle Library is located next to the Lecture Hall.
  • Audio-Visual Services hires students to assist with maintenance, delivery and setting up of equipment on campus, and with addressing technical problems in the classroom. Located on the ground floor of the Lecture Hall, Room B48. Speak with Calvin Larrabee at 607-777-5505.
  • The Languages Across the Curriculum Program (LxC) hires a limited number of graduate students who are fluent in languages other than English to lead weekly study groups on discipline-specific topics using reading materials in the target language. Located in LN-G320. For more information, check their website.
  • The Undergraduate Admissions Office hires students as tour guides. We are interested in students that are outgoing, friendly and fluent in English. Tour guide applications are available in September and February for hire the following semester. Visit the Undergraduate Admissions Office in the Admissions Center (or) contact Joe Tiesi at for information regarding the position.
  • Off-Campus College Transport (OCCT) hires student drivers for the OCCT (blue) buses. Application forms are available at the OCCT Office, second floor of University Union West (UUW-208C). For information regarding training to be a blue bus driver, visit the OCCT website: under Train to be a bus driver.
  • Campus Recreation hires lifeguards (must have Red Cross certification) and other workers for various positions. Applications are accepted during the semester before work begins. Go to the East Gym for more information or check their student employment web page.
  • The Office of Campus Life hires students for a variety of positions. Drop by their office during the first week of classes to check available positions. Located in the University Union (UU-145). Hiring generally takes place early in the spring semester to fill positions for the following academic year. Beginning in February, applications are accepted for the position of Orientation Advisors for the University-wide new student orientation program during the summer. For more information, contact Marsha at 607-777-2811. 
  • The University Union hires students for a variety of positions. Located at the University Union West, Room 205, second floor of the University Union West. Hiring generally takes place in the spring semester to fill positions for the following academic year. Beginning usually at the end of March/beginning of April, applications are accepted. For more information, contact the office at 607-777-3300. 
  • Residential Life hires students for resident assistant and other positions. Hiring generally takes place early in the spring semester to fill positions for the following academic year. Visit the office of Residential Life, College-in-the-Woods center building (Tuscarora) second floor (TU-213). Website.
  • Other offices may hire students on an occasional basis. Watch for advertisements in Pipe Dream, announcements on B-Line (the twice-a week electronic newsletter for Binghamton University students) or visit an office where you would like to work.
Income taxes and international students:

All international students studying in the United States must file a federal and state tax return if they have earned income. This handbook includes information on federal and state income tax rules for F-1 and J-1 students. You can also find additional information on taxes by visiting our web page. Review this information carefully. We have included examples of the forms you will need to fill out to work on campus.  These forms include: a W-4 tax document, an IT-2104 form and an I-9 form, which anyone working in the United States fills out for each new job they start.

If you have questions about on-campus employment, call our office at 607-777-2510, visit us during walk-in advising hours for more information or e-mail us at                                                                                                              

Last Updated: 6/30/17