Search Target

Affiliating With a Department or Program

Occasionally, Binghamton faculty and staff have the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues from other countries. If you are interested in such a collaboration, you will need a Binghamton University faculty or staff member to sponsor you. Please see the Binghamton University home page for links to our academic schools, departments and programs.

It is important to know that there are both U.S. federal immigration regulations and University policies to be followed, whether you, as the visitor, will be paid by a research grant, by University funds, your own funds, or a combination.

Generally, you will enter the U.S. on a J-1 (exchange visitor) visa as either a visiting research scholar or visiting faculty. The sponsoring faculty member at Binghamton University completes a special form called a DS-2019 Request Form (so named because the DS-2019 is the document number for the J-1 certification form). If you will be coming to Binghamton on your own funds, you will need to provide your Binghamton faculty sponsor with documentation showing the source of the funding which shows how much is available for the duration of the stay. This information is required by federal regulation. The form is then approved by the Dean of the appropriate school, or, if you are being invited by one of Binghamton's research center, by the Binghamton Research Foundation Office.

Once all of the approvals have been obtained, Binghamton's Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) prepares the necessary visa documents for mailing to you.

It is recommended that the necessary forms be completed at least 90 days in advance of the visit. Stays can be as short as a few days or as long as five years, depending upon the interests and needs of the Binghamton faculty sponsor, and the approval of the appropriate university officials.

Last Updated: 8/28/14