Search Target

Health Insurance for International Dependents

Medical care in the United States is extremely expensive! You and your family cannot avoid high medical costs in the U.S. Not seeking medical attention when necessary can be very dangerous to you and your family's health, therefore medical insurance is a must.

As an international student or scholar, you are covered under a group plan based on the number of participants. Therefore you have a very comprehensive plan that is inexpensive compared to U.S domestic policies. The plan is called HTHWorldwide.

Your spouse and children are eligible for very similar insurance coverage as a dependent on your insurance policy. The cost for dependent insurance coverage is found here. A $50 deductible applies for each new illness or accident treated by a medical professional.

Dependents of J-1 scholars and must be enrolled for Health Insurance coverage within 31 days of their arrival in the United States, the date of birth for a newborn or within 31 days of marriage to an eligible participant. You must see a member of the health insurance team in the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to complete an enrollment form for your dependents. Please visit the ISSS during walk-in hours.

There is a tremendous risk in not insuring your dependents in the US -- and the possible financial and immigration consequences as a result. U.S. Federal regulations require that the status of a J student or scholar be terminated if their dependents are not insured.

An eligible domestic partner now qualifies for dependent international health insurance coverage through the HTH Worldwide health insurance plan.  The cost is the same as spousal coverage and eligibility must be proven prior to enrollment. An Eligible domestic partner is an adult person (18 years of age or older) of the same or opposite sex who:

  1. Is not married or legally separated;
  2. Has not been party to an action or preceding for divorce or annulment within the last six months, or has been a party to such an action or proceeding and at  least six months have elapsed since the date of the judgment terminating the marriage;
  3. Is not currently registered as a domestic partner with a different domestic partner and has not been in such a relationship for at least six months;
  4. Occupies the same residence as the Eligible Participant;
  5. Has not entered into a domestic partnership that is temporary, social, political, commercial or economic in nature;
  6. Has entered into a domestic partnership arrangement with the named Insured.

Proof of domestic partnership must be demonstrated with three of the following:

  1. a joint lease, mortgage or deed
  2. joint ownership of a vehicle
  3. joint ownership of a checking account or credit account
  4. designation of the domestic partner as a beneficiary for the Eligible Participant’s life insurance or retirement benefits
  5. designation of the domestic partner as a beneficiary of the subscriber’s will
  6. designation of the domestic partner as holding power of attorney for health care
  7. Shared household expenses

Three of the above Items must be presented to the Health Insurance Team in the ISSS office with the domestic enrollment form found at this link at initial enrollment in order to secure an authorized signature for the dependent enrollment form.

Last Updated: 8/8/16