Retirement System Membership Eligibility
As a graduate assistant or teaching assistant, you are eligible to join the NYS Employees Retirement System (ERS) and/or a Voluntary Savings Plan at anytime while you are on the payroll.
Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) Open Health Insurance Enrollment Period 2023
The 2023 Open Enrollment Period for the Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) will run
from Tuesday, September 5 through Friday, October 20, 2023.
Eligible employees have the following options for enrolling in SEHP:
- Enroll within 45 days of appointment or when the employee becomes first eligible. Coverage begins as of the date the enrollment form is received in the HR office or the date of appointment, whichever is later.
- Employees on F-1 or J-1 Visas and domestic students at campuses where health insurance is mandated will have coverage effective as of the date of appointment.
- Enroll within 30 days of a qualifying event. Coverage becomes effective as of the date the enrollment form is received in the HR office or the date of event, whichever is later.
- Enroll during the Open Enrollment Period. Coverage is effective as of the date the enrollment form is received in the HR office.
- Enrollment is otherwise permitted at any time as a late enrollee. Coverage becomes
effective 30 days from the date the enrollment form is received in the HR office.
Effective July 25, 2022 - Social Security Numbers:As required by the Employee Benefits Division of the NY State Department of Civil Service, both SEHP enrollees and their dependents that do not have a social security number, including those ineligible for a social security number, must obtain a letter from the Social Security Administraiton stating their eligibility (or inelgibility) for a social security card. Enrollees and dependents who can not supply this letter within 30 days of health coverage enrollment will be removed from the enrollment or the enrollment must be canceled (in the case of the enrollee).
The Open Enrollment Period provides employees who were eligible for SEHP last year but chose not to enroll, an opportunity to enroll now, without the 30-day waiting period otherwise required for late enrollment.
- GA/TA (GSEU) Health Insurance Overview - A brief overview of the GSEU health coverage
- GA/TA (GSEU) Health Insurance Benefit SummaryThe link above will take you to the NYSHIP online web site where you will find information on the New York State Health Insurance Program for State and Local Government for active employees.
SEHP Coverage Bi-Weekly (Per Paycheck) Rates:
- Individual: $29.03 $31.52
- Family: $182.78 $194.97
GSEU Benefits Forms, etc:
- Health Insurance Transaction Form PS404G
- Health Insurance Participating Provider List
- Select Employees, State Employees, NYSHIP and then GSEU
- Vision and Dental Providers
- Select Employees, State Employees, NYSHIP, GSEU, Empire Plan enrollee, other benefits
- Dependent Care Advantage Account (FSA)