Binghamton University Women Interest Groups are coordinated by volunteer hosts for our members, and most take place from September through May. Our members drive the creation and support of these groups to ensure small-group activities.
Members sign up for Interest Groups at the Fall Membership Meeting and by contacting individual hosts who provide activity information directly to their groups.
If you have an idea for a new group, conact Karen Pompi, Interest Group coordinator, at email@example.com.
Current Interest Groups
Bridge (afternoon activity)
Coordinator: Cynthia Westerman at 607-748-9792 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fun and improvement in bridge playing. members are asked to host or co-host at least once. Meets at 1:30 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month.
- Recipes and cooking techniques are demonstrated and new dishes sampled at meetings. Meets weekend afternoons/evenings throughout the year.
Downtown Dining (evening activity)
Coordinator: Cathy McLain at 607-743-1491 or email@example.com
- Downtown Dining offers the opportunity for members to enjoy local, interesting restaurants with congenial companions. Meets throughout the year.
Gourmet Group (weekend evening activity)
- Members and spouses or guests enjoy international cuisine by preparing recipes selected by the hosts. Ingredient and win costs are shared. Meets two to three times a year on Saturdays.
Grape Fun (evening activity)
Coordinators: Joyce and Peter Knuepfer at 607-624-7013 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Members, spouses and guests meet to sample wines within a reasonable budget (with occasional "pricey" challengers). All wines are available locally. Meets twice a year.
Hiking (morning activity)
Coordinator: Karen Pompi at 607-797-3449 or email@example.com
- Weekly local hikes followed by lunch. Call Karen for details. Meets at 10 a.m. every Tuesday.
Coordinator: Kelly Pueschel at 607-723-1796 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meetings to knit or enjoy any other craft chosen. All skills levels are welcome. Meets once each month.
Lunch Downtown (noontime activity)
Coordinator: Ailsa Donnelly at 607-722-4939 or email@example.com
- A lunch gathering at the Park Diner, 119 Park Ave., Binghamton). Meets at noon the first Wednesday of each month.
Hump Day Lunch on Campus (noontime activity)
Coordinator: Nancy Lewis at 607-771-3532 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- A gathering at rotating locations on campus. All are welcome but reservations are encouraged to ensure space. Meets on announced Wednesdays.
NYC Bus Trip (full-day activity)
Coordinator: Katie Ellis at 607-759-4914 or email@example.com
- A seasonal tradition since 1967. The 2023 trip is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 2, departing from the East Gym parking lot at 7 a.m. and departing at 7 p.m. from Bryant Park in NYC for the return trip home. Participation fee. See the Google form for details.
- Members circulate fiction, nonfiction and mysteries for a two-week reading period. Spring/summer signup. Participation fee.
Reading Group - Evening Reading (evening activity)
Coordinator: Laura Lee Intscher at 607-729-0367 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Members read fiction and nonfiction books available in paperback and meet at members' homes. Meets about every six weeks.
Reading Group - Morning Reading (morning activity)
Coordinator: Toni Norton at 607-754-4759 or email@example.com
- Members read and discuss fiction and nonfiction books available in paperback. Spring signup. Meets at 10 a.m. the second Wednesday of each month.
- Four times a year (or more), members gather for happy hour at local establishments. Get to know the community watering holes and make new friends! BYO adverturous spirit and be safe!
Travel Club (varies)
Coordinator: Katherine Krebs at 607-349-1059 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information, experiences, guidebooks and travelers' tips, plus informal photo presentations and day trips. Meets throughout the year.