Syllabus Insert

This wording can be added to faculty syllabi to support students:

Reporting obligations:

In the event that you choose to disclose experiencing or surviving sexual violence, including sexual harassment, dating and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and rape, keep in mind that I am required, as your instructor, to notify the Title IX coordinator. Following my report to them, you will likely be contacted by email and provided with on- and off-campus resources and the option to speak with someone about your rights and available options. 

If you would like to disclose your experience confidentially, contact the University Counseling Center, Decker Student Health Services Center, Harpur's Ferry, the University Ombudsman or Binghamton University Interfaith Council (BUIC). For more information, visit the VARCC or Title IX Office. Additionally, I encourage you to take a look at our Binghamton Support Network, an online database of on- and off-campus resources.

Fostering a community of caring and wellness

Both undergraduate and graduate students are an important part of our community, and University support services are available to help you thrive academically and personally. 

I am available to talk with you about stresses related to your work in my class. Problems with relationships, loss or a personal struggle or crisis can also contribute to decreased academic performance, and may require additional professional support. While I do not need to know the details of what is going on for you, your ability to share some of your situation with me will help me connect you with the appropriate support. I encourage you to seek support as soon as possible. Accessing support early on can help facilitate your academic success.

Resources for undergraduate and graduate students at Binghamton University:

  • CARE Team: 607-777-2804
  • Decker Student Health Services Center: 607-777-2221
  • University Counseling Center: 607-777-2772 (Press 2 for after-hours line)
  • University Police: 911 or 607-777-2222 (emergency); 607-777-2393 (non-emergency)
  • VARCC: 607-777-3010
  • Office of International Student and Scholar Services: 607-777-2510
  • Binghamton University Interfaith Council:
  • University Ombudsman: 607-777-2388
  • Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
  • Employee Assistance Program: 607-777-6655
    • Available for GSEU-represented students and their families
  • Off Campus College:

Find out about more resources on the Here to Help webpage and the Binghamton Support Network, an online database of on- and off-campus resources.

Students with disabilities:

Binghamton University is committed to the creation of an inclusive and safe learning environment for all students, including students with disabilities. Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) is responsible for the determination of appropriate accommodations for students who encounter barriers due to disability. Request your academic accommodation letter(s) early in the semester, or as soon as you have completed the SSD process (self-disclosure form, submitted documentation and initial appointment), so that we have adequate time to arrange your approved academic accommodations. 

Remember that accommodations are not retroactive, and a discussion with your instructor must occur regarding their implementation. Your access in this course is important to me. If you experience any disability-related access barriers in this course, such as with printed content, graphics, online materials, classroom seating or location, or any communication barriers; reach out to me and SSD right away. You can contact SSD at 607-777-2686 or via email at