Since Merriwether began teaching Psychology of Women and “The Psychology and Culture of Pregnancy Childbirth and Motherhood,” she has become interested in doing research concerning women's body image and reproductive health attitudes. During the last few years she has collaborated with Monique Ward and Allison Caruthers to collect data on over 1,500 colleges students examining the intersection of body image, sexual socialization, reproductive health and media influences. More recently, in collaboration with Justin Garcia, they have looked at evolutionary explanations for sexual attitudes and behaviors in college students.
- PhD, MA, BA, Pennsylvania State University
- Sexual Socialization
- Reproductive Health Attitudes
- Body Image Development
- Healthy Sexual Behaviors and Decision Making
- Harpur College Teaching Award
- Provost's Award for Excellence in Teaching