Binghamton University Scholars Program $3,500 Award:
Further Details Regarding -
Summer Session or Winter Session Internship Option
Oversight: A faculty member from one of Binghamton’s academic departments must be the instructor-of-record for the internship
Approved Internships: Internships not affiliated with the Fleishman Center or a Binghamton academic department are not eligible for the $3,500 Scholars Award
Semester Eligibility: The internship must take place during a Summer-Session or Winter-Session. Internships during the Fall and Spring semesters are not eligible for the award.
Time Commitment: The intern must complete a minimum of 175 clock-hours to be eligible to receive the $3500 Award regardless of the number of credit hours to be earned. The hours must be completed prior to the end of the Summer or Winter Session as dictated by the official university schedule for those sessions.
Credit Hours. The internship can be for any number of credit hours agreed upon by the instructor and the student. However, the intern must register for and pass at least 1-credit hour for the internship. See “Time Commitment” above.
Grading Options: The supervising professor will determine the grading policy. The Scholars Program has a detailed grading rubric for internships available that serves for assessing both P/F and letter-grade options. This rubric is not a requirement but is available by request from the Scholars Program.
To apply for the $3,500 Scholars Award
- Do not apply for the Scholars Award until you have
- Obtained an offer for an internship
- registered for a Binghamton University internship course of at least 1 credit hour
- Committed to performing a minimum of 175 clock-hours toward the internship
- Log in to B-Engaged
- Locate the Binghamton University Scholars Program organization page
- Under "Forms", select "Scholars $3,500 Award Application"
- You will be asked to:
- Enter the name, professional job title, and email of whomever at Binghamton University is overseeing your academic credit.
- Upload a copy of your transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable) as a pdf with the internship course and internship credits (minimum of 1) circled or highlighted.
- Once the award application has been approved you will receive an email notification from B-Engaged. Upon receipt of that email, you must stop by the Scholars Program Office to complete a State of NY Standard Voucher. Failure to complete this step will result in the award not being paid.
Scholars receiving the $3,500 award for an Internship experience are not eligible to apply for an additional $3,500 award for Education Abroad, although other awards/scholarships may be available through Binghamton’s International Education and Global Initiatives (IEGI) Office. Additionally, Scholars receiving the $3,500 award for an Internship experience are not eligible to apply for an additional $3,500 Scholars award for the Summer Scholars and Artists Program. However, all Scholars are eligible to apply to the Summer Scholars and Artists Program as part of the general student population and if accepted will receive a $3,500 stipend that is separate from the Scholars $3,500 Award.
An eligible Scholar participating in an approved paid or unpaid Summer Session or Winter Session internship will receive $3,500 in the form of a check from the Binghamton University Business Office. The payment of $3,500 is regardless of the amount paid by the employer.
- Note that the payment is not a financial aid award and will not appear on any financial aid documentation.
- Tuition and other costs are the responsibility of the participating student. Tuition information is available at: https://www.binghamton.edu/admissions/cost/index.html
- Students receiving the award, but not completing the internship will be expected to return the entire award.