Student Tutoring Policies
University Tutorial Services (UTS) provides free tutoring for Binghamton University students. To maximize the benefits of this service, students should closely note the following:
- To provide an encouraging learning environment for students of all skills, backgrounds, and their aspirations.
- To proactively incite students’ development of critical thinking, problem solving, and study skills beyond tutoring sessions.
- All UTS tutoring appointments must be scheduled online through Starfish at https://my.binghamton.edu. Students must use their PODS username and password to log in. (Please note we are still transitioning.)
- Students may receive tutoring for a maximum of two hours per course, per week for up to three courses. Walk-in tutoring sessions do not count toward this limit.
- ALL scheduled tutoring appointments take place in the CIW Library, Mountainview Student Success Center, or C4.
- Students MUST sign their tutor’s sign-in sheet for every appointment. Failure to do so will be tracked as a missed appointment.
- Students are expected to come prepared with questions and concepts to work on. Tutors are NOT permitted to complete homework assignments, quizzes, tests, or online assignments with or for students. This includes assignments that have already been graded, exams from previous semesters, and may also include supplementary problems provided by the instructor for your course.
- Students who need to cancel a scheduled tutoring appointment must do so through Starfish – NOT directly with their tutor.
- University Tutorial Services requires that students cancel appointments with a minimum of 12 hours notice. Cancellations with less than 12 hours notice will be tracked as a missed appointment. Extenuating circumstances will be taken into consideration if an appointment is cancelled within the 12 hours prior to the session, but UTS must be notified via email (UTS@binghamton.edu).
- University Tutorial Services reserves the right to remove students from weekly sessions if the student does not attend the session and fails to properly cancel the session.
- In an effort to ensure the quality of our tutor programming, University Tutorial Services staff will reach out to students and request anonymous feedback on their tutoring experience.
Please review our COVID-19 policy page for additional information.