Translation Studies Research

Annual Travel Support for TRIP Doctoral Students

TRIP offers financial reimbursement to TRIP Doctoral Students for expenses related to conference attendance and travel. Eligible applicants include students who have an abstract accepted and will be presenting a paper at a conference. Priority will be given to students without other funding sources for conference attendance.

Joint PhD Program with Beijing International Studies University (BISU)

Binghamton University and Beijing International Studies University (BISU) signed a five-year agreement in 2015 to create a Joint PhD Program. After successfully completing the first two years of their graduate curriculum with BISU's School of Interpreting and Translation, up to ten qualified BISU students transfer into selected fields of study at Binghamton University to complete a minimum three years of required training curriculum for their doctoral degree, awarded by Binghamton University while co-administered by BIU.

The first cohort of BISU students started Doctoral Studies at Binghamton University in the Fall 0f 2017. BISU students specialize in Chinese-English, Korean-English, French-English, German-English, Spanish-English, Arabic-English, Japanese-English, and Turkish-English translation studies language pairs under the guidance and instructions of supervisors from both universities. At Binghamton University, BISU students complete 28 credits of coursework, two written comprehensive exams, a dissertation prospectus, and an oral exam to obtain ABD (All But Dissertation) status by defending the written exams and the prospectus. After becoming ABD, BISU students can return to China or remain in Binghamton to complete their dissertations.

Current BISU Doctoral Students and their BISU Advisors:

TRIP Visiting Scholars

TRIP is pleased to host several Visiting International Scholars annually to
join the program for an academic year. Visiting Scholars take advantage of
resources at Binghamton University and the TRIP Program to advance
their research. Those interested should identify the faculty you want to work with and contact the TRIP director about making arrangement. 

Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) academic partnerships

Scholarly Societies for Translation Studies