Forms, Links, FAQs

Decker College policies


  • Health and Wellness Minor Application: Students wishing to minor in health and wellness studies must complete this application and provide a personal statement and a copy of their unofficial transcript

All the forms listed below can be accessed in this Google folder. The name of the form is shown in parentheses ( ).

  • DARS/Degree Works Exception (dars-exception-form.pdf) is for students wishing to receive credit for completed courses taken outside the HWS Department to fulfill HWS minor requirements 
  • Health and Wellness Studies Independent Study, Internship or Teaching Assistant (volunteer-teaching-assistant.pdf) is for students seeking independent study, an internship or teaching assistantship (requires instructor signature)
  • Nutrition and Fitness Internship (nutrition-intern-application.pdf) is for students interested in the Nutrition and Fitness Peer Education Service-Learning Internship; get more information on the Internship Opportunities webpage
  • Informed Consent (informed-consent.pdf) is the waiver form needed for participation in any HWS activity class
  • Medical History  (medical-history-form.pdf) is needed for participation in any HWS activity class
  • Plan of Study (hws-minor-plan.pdf) is a planning sheet for students accepted into the HWS minor
  • Pool Reservation (agreement-pool-use.pdf) internal and student organizations wishing to reserve the West Gym pool must submit the pool reservation request a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the event; get more information about pool reservation requests on the Policies and Procedures webpage
  • Transportation Waiver (transportation-waiver.pdf) is used for off-campus, class-related outings
  • Volunteer Form (volunteer-form.pdf) teaching assistants must complete a volunteer form


Eating Awareness Committee
The EAC's mission is to provide education, outreach and resources to the campus and the community with regard to body image, eating disorders, nutrition and fitness.


  • Get your personalized nutrition and physical activity plan.
  • Track your foods and physical activities to see how they stack up.
  • Get tips and support to help you make healthier choices and plan ahead.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where are HWS classes held?

A: The Department of Health and Wellness Studies offers a wide array of classes that take place indoors and outdoors. Many of our courses are held in the West Gym, but be sure to check your schedule and/or course syllabus for the exact location.

Q: Where are the instructors' offices located?

A: Our instructor offices are located in the West Gymnasium, which is adjacent to the Events Center and on your right as you enter the campus from Bartle Drive.

Q: I tried to register for a course, but the course is restricted. What do I do?

A:  Always review the course description to be sure you meet the minimum requirements for the course. If you meet the requirements, e-mail the instructor and explain the situation. Be sure to include as many details as possible (i.e., B number, contact information, etc.) 

Q: What is the $30 HWS fee?

A:   The $30 non-refundable HWS fee is charged to all courses with an activity component. Students taking an activity-based course are encouraged to use the locker/towel service provided in the West Gym.

Q: I am registered for more than one activity course in the same semester, will I be charged more than one $30 activity fee?

A:  No, you will only be charged one $30 activity fee per semester.

Q: I need an activity class to graduate this semester, but the classes are full. Can I petition into the class?

A:  Depending on your situation, you may be able to petition into the class. The best way to petition into a class after the class is full is to show up on the first day of class and speak directly with the instructor. 

Q: I am in the HWS minor and previously completed a course outside the Department of Health and Wellness Studies. I would like the course to count toward my minor requirements. Is this possible, and if so, what do I need to do?

A: Complete the DARS exception form, attach the syllabus or course description for the course, and return it to the HSW Office in Room 5 of the West Gym. Processing time is approximately 2 weeks from the date received.

Have a question that isn't answered above? E-mail us at