Civil Disturbance/Demonstration Procedures

Most campus demonstrations are peaceful and people not involved should attempt to carry on business as usual. Avoid provoking or obstructing demonstrators. Should a disturbance occur, call the University Police at 911 (from a campus phone) or 607-777-2393 (from any phone).

If a disturbance seems to threaten the occupants of the building, report it immediately to the University Police and take the following actions:

  • Alert all persons in the area of the situation.
  • Lock all doors and windows.
  • Close blinds to prevent flying glass.
  • If necessary, your department may decide to cease work operations.
  • If necessary to evacuate, follow directions from police.
  • If evacuation occurs, meet at the Immediate Assembly Area (IAA) designated by your building coordinator. (see "General Evacuation Procedures").