On-campus Employment for J-1 Students

J-1 students may work on campus up to 20 hours per week while class is in session. During summer and winter breaks, you may work more than 20 hours per week. On-campus employment may include working for an office or department or working for an on-campus entity such as food service or the bookstore. All on-campus work requires written authorization from ISSS before beginning work.

On-campus employment authorization will be issued for a maximum of 12 months, or until the end date of your DS-2019, whichever date is sooner. If you will be working at multiple on-campus jobs, you must submit one form for each job. Remember that during the semester you may not work more than 20 hours per week combined between all on-campus jobs.


  • Be in valid J-1 status with a DS-2019 issued by Binghamton University
  • Be a currently enrolled, full-time student
  • Have a job offer from an on-campus employer. 

How to apply 

Gather the required documentation 

  • Get an offer letter from an on-campus employer that includes
    • Type of employment (example: student assistant, teaching assistant, etc.)
    • Start and end dates of employment
    • Location of employment
    • Number of hours working per week
    • Supervisor’s name and contact information
  • Scan the required document(s)

Submit the J-1 On-Campus employment authorization request to ISSS

You must submit the J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Request e-form online. You will need to upload the required documentation in order to submit the e-form. 

Wait for ISSS to approve the request before beginning work

  • You will receive an email from ISSS when your request has been reviewed. Please note that ISSS processing time may be 7-10 business days. 
  • You should not begin working on campus until you have received authorization from ISSS. 

Please note that all information on this page is specific to J-1 students whose immigration documents are issued by Binghamton University. If your DS-2019 was issued by another sponsor, such as the Fulbright program, you must contact your program sponsor for additional information about employment authorization.