On-campus Employment Regulations for Students in F-1 Status

The Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations govern on-campus employment for students in F-1 status.

An F-1 student may work on campus at Binghamton University if:

  • Valid F-1 status is maintained.
  • Employment does not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session.
    Note: If a student works for more than one on-campus employer, the total number of hours worked from all jobs cannot exceed 20 hours per week.
  • F-1 students may be employed more than 20 hours per week on campus during holidays and vacation periods if they intend to register for the next semester.
  • Opportunities for on-campus employment are limited. Not all students seeking employment will be able to find a position on-campus. If you are thinking of working off-campus be sure to check the eligibility requirements and apply for the required authorization. Working without authorization is illegal and a serious violation of the law.

The definition of on-campus employment includes:

  • Work performed on the Binghamton campus, including that required by a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship.
  • Work for an on-campus employer who provides services to students, including OCCT, Campus Pre-School, Barnes & Noble and Sodexo Dining Services.
  • Work at an off-campus location educationally affiliated with Binghamton University. This affiliation must be associated with an established curriculum or be related to a contractually funded graduate-level research project. Such employment must be an integral part of the student's program of study. It is important to speak with an advisor at the Office of International Student and Scholar Services to be sure this kind of position meets the USCIS definition of on-campus employment and that you can be paid.

Thinking of transferring? 

F-1 students maintaining lawful status who plan to enroll at a new school for the next academic term may continue on-campus employment at Binghamton until the reporting date to the new school, or may begin employment at the new school provided that the new school has issued a new form I-20.

Considering employment with a SUNY University or College?

Employment at a SUNY university or college that is not Binghamton University is considered off-campus employment. If you are in F-1 status you must apply for and receive the appropriate authorization, usually Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT), from the ISSS before you begin any employment activity at a different SUNY university or college. Students in J-1 status must also request written authorization from the ISSS. Remember: any position at the SUNY campuses in our regional area: SUNY Cortland, SUNY Oneonta, SUNY Morrisville, Broome Community College or any other State University of New York institution is off campus employment. If you have questions please contact ISSS staff BEFORE you begin the employment.