You are required to finish your program of study by the completion date on your I-20 or DS-2019. If you will not graduate by that date, you must apply for a program extension at least 30 days before your I-20/DS-2019 will expire.
- You must have continuously maintained valid F-1 or J-1 status.
- You must have compelling academic or medical reasons, such as a change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness.
- You will need to provide financial documents showing sufficient funding for the period of the extension.
- You must submit a completed application for a program extension at least 30 days before the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019.
Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are NOT acceptable reasons for program extension approval. Employment is generally not a valid reason for extension unless the internship or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is necessary to complete degree requirements.
How to apply
Gather the required documentation
- Meet with your academic advisor to complete the Academic Advisor’s Recommendation Form. You will complete the top portion of the form, and your advisor must complete the rest of the form and sign it.
- Gather financial documents showing that you have sufficient funds to pay for tuition, fees, health insurance, and living expenses for yourself and any dependents for the duration of the extension. If your funding will be provided by a friend or family member, they will need to write and sign a letter of support in addition to providing a copy of their bank statement. All financial documents must clearly show the full name of the account holder, bank name, date, account number, current balance, and the currency.
Submit the Extension of Stay Request to ISSS
You must submit the Extension of Stay Request e-form online. You will need to upload the required documentation in order to submit the e-form.
- For faster processing, upload the financial documents with this e-form.
- If you are not sure of the amount you need to show, submit the e-form and an ISSS advisor will email you regarding the additional proof of funding needed. All financial documents must be received and processed BEFORE the end date on your I-20 or DS-2019.
ISSS will review and process your request
- You will receive an email from ISSS when your request has been reviewed. Please note that ISSS processing time may be 7-10 business days.
- If your request is approved, ISSS will email you a new I-20 or DS-2019. You will need to print your new I-20 or DS-2019 and sign it at the bottom of page 1. Be sure to keep all old I-20s or DS-2019s for your records.
If you have any questions, you may contact the ISSS advising team at firstname.lastname@example.org.