Setting up Email-Based Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Note: These instructions are for Applicants / Incoming Students or CSEA-OSU only. If you do not fall into one of these populations, please select one of the other options listed here
Follow along with this video tutorial, or via the steps below:
Setting up Two-Factor-Authentication does not not require that you change any existing Binghamton University passwords. If you do not wish to change your password(s), you may fully ignore any options or prompts implying that you should do so.
- Go to https://password.binghamton.edu/forgot_otp
- Enter your username.
- From the dropdown provided, select an email address or phone number to which you would
like your Security Code sent.
- Check the email address or the phone number you selected in the previous step, and
look for an email or SMS text message with a 6-digit single use Security Code
- Enter the 6-digit Security Code received in the previous step into the space provided.
- You have now successfully authenticated into the password portal.
- Select the Create New Token button.
*You DO NOT need to change your password to create a token.
- Check the box for "I am an Applicant / Incoming Student or a member of CSEA-OSU"
- Under the "Two-Factor-Authentication (2FA) Token Type" menu, select "Email"
- Enter your email address and date of birth. Note: This can be any email address you have access to, whether it be a personal email address or your Binghamton University assigned email address.
- Click "Submit" to save these changes.
Next time you attempt to authenticate into myBinghamton, myCourses, BUBrain, BComply, or any other similar such system, you will be prompted to enter your One-time-password. You can access your one-time-password via the steps below:
- Click "E-MAIL ME"
- Check the email address you entered in step 6 above, and make note of the 6-digit number specified.
- Enter the 6-digit number in step 2 above, and click "LOGIN"
- You're all set!