The Binghamton University Library’s Collection Management Facility (the CMF), operating for retrieval as of November 1, 2023, is a high-density storage facility. The CMF creates flexibility for the Library and increases the space available for users on campus. In addition it ensures the preservation of Library collections through conservation-level environmental controls for books and journals, archives and manuscripts, and rare and fragile materials.
CMF Fast Facts
- There are 6280 shelves at the CMF.
- Shelving is designed to hold an average of 500 pounds of media per shelf. The shelves themselves weigh 65 pounds.
- We estimate the current collection housed at the CMF weighs over 2 million pounds.
- An order picker is used to retrieve materials since shelves are over 22 feet high.
- Materials were moved daily for 4 months to complete the move from the Annex in Conklin to the CMF in Johnson City.
All materials in the Library Collection Management Facility are discoverable through Find It! and may be requested for use by signing into your Library Account. The Library’s courier service runs daily, and will deliver materials to the Library location of your choosing.
A Reading Room will soon open to the public as a space for research and scholarly activity. Stay tuned for hours of operation.
Directions to Collection Management Facility
10 Gannett Drive, Johnson City, NY 13790
The CMF building is secure, and is currently only accessible to authorized employees. To arrange a visit, please call (607) 777-4899. The Library's entrance is located on the South side of the building, and faces the Walmart parking lot.