Affiliation Agreements & Student Liability Insurance:
Binghamton University has access to general and professional student liability insurance through the State University of New York’s contracted insurance company for eligible students participating in experiential learning. The purpose of the student liability policy is to cover State University of New York enrolled students participating in a clinical or non-clinical training program/internship at outside or SUNY facilities. In order for the clinical or non-clinical training program/internship to be included under the policy, all of the following criteria must be met:
- The student must receive academic credit or be meeting a course or program requirement.
- The training program/internship must be supervised by the training site and a faculty member.
- There is an executed affiliation agreement between SUNY and the training program site.
- The affiliation site must require insurance and the training program/internship must be approved by the company for coverage under the policy.
This liability insurance policy covers students who are named as a party of legal action arising from their participation in a training program/internship that meets the criteria described above. The policy will pay those sums that the student becomes legally obligated to pay as a result of “bodily injury” or “property damages” covered by the policy including associated legal expenses. This coverage does not indemnify the clinical/non-clinical training site, location or host entity. This policy does not insure any licensed professionals acting in that capacity.
Clinical training programs/internships must have an executed affiliation agreement with the organization the student is placed at and must obtain student liability insurance through SUNY. Please contact the Purchasing Office to confirm your department/school contacts and develop your process for executing agreements and requesting the certificate of insurance.
Please follow these steps to determine if an affiliation agreement and student liability insurance is required for the training program/internship:
1. The training site requires liability insurance:
a. Department sends standard University affiliation agreement with instructions for processing to training site.
b. Training site accepts agreement and returns signed standard University affiliation agreement to Purchasing Office.
c. Purchasing Office obtains certificate of insurance and sends to training site.
d. Student can begin training program.
2. Training site requires liability insurance and requires changes to the standard University affiliation agreement or their own affiliation agreement:
a. Department coordinates with the Office of University Counsel and training site to reach a mutual agreement.
b. Upon receipt of the countersigned agreement, the Purchasing Office obtains certificate of insurance and sends to training site.
c. Student can begin training program.
3. The training site does not require liability insurance:
a. Student can begin training program.
Additional information can be obtained by contacting the Purchasing Office at (607) 777-2184.