Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

What is Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

It is a formal document that explains what VA entitlement you possess through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

How do I get a COE?


This option is available for active-duty, veteran and dependent Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients only. You must register for a Premier account through Ebenefits, which is a free account. You must have the Premier Ebenefits account otherwise it will not populate the COE for viewing/printing. 

  • You may print off a copy of your COE by:
  • Logging onto eBenefits (https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage)
  • On the “Welcome” page, select the “Manage Your Benefits” option at the bottom
  • Under the “Manage Benefits” option, select the “Status Tracking” option
  • In the “Education” block, you should see a link for the benefit you are eligible for
  • Select the “Enrollment Status” Link (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill, etc.)
  • Print the page entitled “Education Enrollment Status” and submit it to the Office of Veteran and Military Services.

You may obtain a copy of your COE by:

  • Go to the GI Bill Website (www.va.gov/education/)
  • Select the “Submit a Question” option
  • If you have an existing account, log in
  • If not, you will need to use the “Sign up” link to establish an account
  • Once you are logged in, select the “Ask a Question” tab at the top
  • For subject, put “GI Bill® Certificate of Eligibility”
  • For question, put in something like “I am requesting a duplicate copy of my GI Bill® Certificate of Eligibility be mailed to me.
  • Product is “GI Bill®”
  • Category is the benefit you are eligible for
  • Under the benefit you are eligible for, select eligibility
  • Submit your request.
  • A duplicate Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you.


This option is available for federal Department of Veterans Affairs education benefit recipients. Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have copy mailed to you. VA processing time is 6 - 8 weeks.

How often do I submit a COE?

A COE must be sbmitted each academic year.

How do I submit my COE?

 Submit a COE via BU's secure submission portal:   https://my.binghamton.edu/app/campus_life/enrollmentCertification.

NOTE:You must be registered for the term to access the protal and submit a COE.        

 ‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.va.gov/education/."