Students will practice excavation, note-taking skills, and analysis of artifacts and features in stratified soils at a simulated site.
Stratigraphy and the Laws of Superposition
Instructor will relate the principals and mechanics of sediment deposition, site dating techniques, the correlation between time and soil levels, and possible site/soil disturbance. In groups of 3-5 people, students will use soil "keys" to match a known date and soil context to soils on the poster. The keys provide a date to apply to different features on the poster. Students will take this information and concepts learned from the discussion to complete the worksheet.
Some Objectives Contained in the Lessons
- Take accurate measurements of observed objects and patterns
- Understand the concepts of sediment deposition.
- Make accurate drawings from direct observation.
- Take descriptive notes about features and artifacts.
- Understand how archaeologists use soil levels to learn about the age of a site.