University Banking with Visions Federal Credit Union
Visions Federal Credit Union is proud to be a member of the Binghamton University community. Visit its centrally located branch on the second floor of the University Union West.
Branch Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Wednesday; 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday
Branch Phone Lines: 607-777-3932
In addition, there are four conveniently located ATMs on campus:
- Inside Bartle Library Tower near Jazzman's
- Outside the Events Center doors, facing the West Gym
- Next to the branch office in the University Union West
- Outside the University Union facing the Admissions Center
Banking transition FAQ
What is a credit union?
Like banks, credit unions provide financial services such as savings and checking accounts, loans, mortgages, credit cards, investments and more. Unlike a bank, however, credit unions are not-for-profit, member-owned cooperatives. This means that earnings are returned directly to members, not shareholders, in the form of higher returns on savings, lower rates on loans and fewer, lesser fees.
Where will Visions Federal Credit Union (FCU) be located on campus and what will the
hours of operation be?
Binghamton University's on-campus branch will remain on the second floor in University Union West, above the MarketPlace. ATMs will be located outside the branch, in Bartle Library Tower near Jazzman's, outside the Events Center and outside of the Dunkin' Donuts in the University Union. The branch hours will be 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, and 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday.
In addition to being the financial institution on campus, Visions FCU will continue to maintain its presence in the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development. This unique partnership is designed to provide financial wellness and literacy resources separate from what you would find in our traditional branch locations. Topics include budgeting, credit building, job interviewing and more, with Visions FCU hosting a dedicated education coordinator to provide one-on-one and group training sessions. Event information can be found on the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development website.
How do you open an account with Visions FCU?
Accounts can be opened anytime in person at any Visions FCU branch location, online or through the Visions FCU Mobile app. Online applicants can select "Join Now" from the Visions FCU website or on their mobile device after installing the app. The app is free to download in the App Store or Google Play Store.
What is needed to open an account?
Your valid state- or government-issued photo ID, $25 and your social security number are required to open an account. International students who do not have a social security number will be asked to provide a tax identification number. Proof of address may be required if it does not match your photo identification.
What type of accounts are offered?
Visions FCU offers savings and checking accounts, debit and ATM cards, as well as options for serious savers and even small business owners and a range of loan products from auto loans to mortgages and everything else in between.
For a full listing of accounts, speak with a representative or visit visionsfcu.org.
Can accounts be opened at any Visions office?
Yes, accounts can be opened at any Visions FCU location. In addition to the on-campus branch, the two offices closest to Binghamton University's main campus are located in the University Plaza and in the Town Square Mall, both located on the Vestal Parkway.
What are Visions Federal Credit Union's fees?
Fees are avoidable in most circumstances. The best defense against incurring a fee is to speak with a representative to understand the details specific to your account. A full listing of fees can be found on the current Visions FCU Service Charge Schedule.
How can someone transfer money to my account?
There are several ways that your family member can transfer money to your Visions FCU account, regardless of whether or not they are listed as a joint account holder on your account. Examples:
- You and your family member both have Visions FCU accounts and have a joint account: To allow online access between accounts, simply fill out a cross authorization form. These forms are available at any branch location or through the Visions FCU Contact Center at 800-242-2120. Once completed, your account will show up on the family member's VisionLine online banking screen. Transfers can then be made by selecting your account.
- You and your family member both have Visions FCU accounts but do not share a joint
account: Funds can be transferred between Visions FCU accounts in person, over the
phone, online or through the Visions FCU Mobile app.
- a. In person or over the phone: Your family member will need your account number to transfer in a branch location or through the Contact Center at 800-242-2120.
- b. Online: Your family member can select "Bill Pay" from their VisionLine online banking account. Using this, they can send you funds electronically, free of charge.
- c. Visions FCU Mobile app: Visions FCU Mobile app features the same "Bill Pay" functionality as the online banking service, as well as a "Send Money" feature that allows the use of PayPal to text or email funds to someone.
- You have a Visions FCU account, but your family member does not: In this case, the family member would need to contact their financial institution for details on sending money to your account. Depending on the other institution's policies and capabilities, these transfers can either be done online or via a wire transfer. Your Visions FCU account and routing numbers would need to be given to the other institution.
- Your family member is joint on your Visions FCU account but does not have a Visions FCU account of their own: Your family member would need to send money from another institution, see scenario above for details.
Will there be a hold when funds are transferred to my account?
The Visions FCU policy is to make funds available to pay checks presented against your account for cash withdrawal, cashing of checks over the counter and for other purposes on the day they receive your deposit. The availability of some funds may be delayed for a longer period. Read the Check Hold Policy online.
How can accounts be accessed?
Accounts can be accessed in person, over the phone, online or on your mobile device. Visions FCU has several office and ATM locations throughout the greater Binghamton area, and also partners with thousands of credit unions and ATMs nationwide through the Co-Op Shared Branching Network. For a full list of office and ATM locations, including nationwide Co-Op Shared Branching locations, visit the Visions FCU website or select "Locations" in the Visions FCU Mobile app.
Members looking to access their accounts over the phone can reach the Contact Center at 800-242-2120.
Managing your money online is as easy as enrolling in online banking at visionsfcu.org or downloading the Visions FCU Mobile app from the App Store or Google Play Store.
How can accounts be accessed outside of the Binghamton area?
Visions FCU is part of the nationwide Co-Op Shared Branching Network, allowing members to use ATMs and branches of various credit unions free of charge. The ability to make deposits, withdrawals, cash checks and even purchase money orders is available at these locations. In New York and Long Island, in particular, there are several Bethpage, Teachers and Justice FCU locations available. For a full list of locations, select "Locations" from the Visions FCU Mobile app, or visit co-opcreditunions.org.
In addition to this, Visions FCU's free mobile app lets you perform most of the functions you normally would, like balance inquiries, transferring funds and sending money. Express Deposit is also available in the Visions FCU Mobile app, which lets you deposit checks just by taking pictures.
Can I deposit a check without going to an ATM or branch?
Yes. Express Deposit allows you to deposit checks to your share or checking accounts using a computer and scanner or a camera-enabled mobile device using Visions' Android or iPhone App. Check out the Visions FCU website for more information.
Can I cash a check with Visions FCU from another bank?
Yes, checks can be cashed by Visions FCU from another bank whether you have a Visions FCU account or not.
How can I maintain my M&T account?
If you currently have an M&T account and would like to maintain it, M&T has a branch office conveniently located across the street from the University at 4481 Vestal Parkway, Vestal, N.Y. For additional information on M&T Bank, visit the M&T website.
Additional questions regarding the transition process should be directed to Maria Roberts, associate director, Auxiliary Services.
On-Campus Bank Contract
Binghamton Auxiliary Services Corporation (BASC), a board comprised of Binghamton University students, faculty and staff, has awarded Visions Federal Credit Union the On-Campus Bank Branch and ATM Services contract. This follows a thorough, five-month process consisting of student surveys, meetings and a comprehensive request for proposals. Two formal proposals were received by BASC, both of which were strong. The board members felt that the lower account and ATM fees in the Visions FCU proposal would provide more value to the Binghamton University community.