University-Wide Courses

The Office of University-Wide Courses provides a direct link to the University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UUCC), which oversees all non-departmental undergraduate courses, and to the Provost's office, which works closely with the UUCC and helps to implement and revise academic policies. The office provides academic advice, oversight and course building support for credit-bearing undergraduate courses that are not based in an academic unit.

John H. Starks, Jr., associate professor of classics, serves as the office's faculty director and as liaison to the UUCC and the Provost's Office. He works with units interested in offering university-wide courses, keeping them informed as policies are developed or modified by the University and ensuring that existing and future course offerings continue to meet Binghamton's academic standards and course policies. This office is not intended to replace existing faculty advisory boards but rather to support units offering non-departmentalized courses.

Staff in the Office of University-Wide Courses handles course building for all non-departmentalized courses. This provides one point of contact for Office of Course Building and Academic Space Management and assists offices with accurate and timely course building.

What Are University-Wide Courses?

University-wide courses are credit-bearing undergraduate courses that are not based in a school or department. They currently include:

  • CDCI – internships and other courses offered by the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development.
  • ELI – courses offered by English Language Institute
  • GMAP - courses offered by the Institute for Genocide and Mass Atrocity Prevention (I-GMAP)
  • OUT – courses offered by Outdoor Pursuits
  • SCHL – courses offered by the Binghamton University Scholars Program
  • UNIV – other University-wide courses, including UNIV 101, the first-year experience course for incoming freshmen and transfer students

How to Submit a Proposal for a New University-Wide Course

  • If you are interested in proposing a new University-wide course, contact John H. Starks, Jr., faculty director of the Office of University-Wide Courses, to discuss your proposal.  University-wide courses should have a sponsoring entity (office, program, residential community, etc.), and the subject matter of the course should be consistent with the mission of that entity. 
  • You will need to complete a course proposal form for UNIV and related courses.

For More Information

  • Contact John H. Starks, Jr., faculty director of the Office of University-Wide Courses,