Access and Policies
The following rules have been established to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all participants, and to preserve our facilities for their intended use. Cooperation of all participants is appreciated. Staff have been hired to enforce all facility rules and regulations. Participants who notice violations of rules/regulations/policy are asked to bring it to the attention of the staff.
A valid Binghamton University ID card is required to access the Rec Center, FitSpace, and all Group Fitness classes. In addition, a current Fitness Membership is required to access FitSpace and Group Fitness classes.
A $8 guest pass is required for all non-members.
Visit member services to learn more about guest passes and Fitness Membership.
FitSpace now has biometric capabilities
Fitness members may now register their finger print to their member account, which will allow them to access FitSpace without an ID card. The finger print will act as the membership verification. Interested members can register at the Rec Center Front Desk from 8:30am – 5pm Mon.-Fri. University ID cards will still be required for general building access, group fitness classes and for those who choose not to register their finger print. For more information contact the Rec Center Front Desk at 777-PLAY.
All current student University ID cards are activated for access privileges to open recreation offerings. Faculty and staff have limited access privileges: current University faculty/staff have free access to open recreation activities in the Recreation Center or West Gym racquetball courts, 5:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Monday - Friday.
A valid University ID must be presented to Events Center staff to access the track during posted walking/jogging hours. Damaged ID cards are the responsibility of the cardholder to replace.
All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to take part in all activities to the extent of their personal interest. In a voluntary program, participants assume responsibility for their own well-being and safety. Consult the University Health Services or your physician on matters regarding your health status.
No bicycles, skateboards, smoking, smokeless tobacco, alcoholic beverages or animals are permitted inside any facility. Turf shoes, cleats, spikes or roller blades must be removed before entering any indoor facility.
Policies and facility rules
- Participation is at your own risk. Users are responsible for reading and adhering to published policies and posted signs.
- Participation is restricted to adults 18 years of age and older (or matriculated Binghamton University students). Children under 18 years of age are ONLY permitted to participate in specific programs as indicated.
- Please be respectful of others throughout the building and in activity areas. Spitting, inappropriate language, verbal abuse and fighting will not be tolerated.
- Athletic attire and clean, non-marking athletic footwear are required (except for swimming) for participants at all times. No sandals, jeans (denim material), or boots are allowed in activity areas.
- In order to keep facilities clean and safe for use, please wipe feet when entering the building. Users are encouraged to change out of street shoes before entering activity spaces.
- Participants should attend to matters of personal hygiene as well as cleanliness of workout wear.
- All personal belongings should be locked in lockers during facility use. No coats or bags are allowed inside any activity area.
- Gallon jugs (bottle limit: 32 oz.), smoking, smokeless tobacco, alcoholic beverages, and gum are not permitted. Beverage containers must have a screw on lid. Food and beverages are not allowed in the main gym.
- Please be considerate of other users. You may be required to limit the length of your workout or activity based on posted guidelines in the each area.
- Equipment and facilities should be used for their intended purpose. Modification is prohibited. Please report equipment malfunction or damage to a staff member.
- Any person who maliciously uses, damages or defaces equipment or facilities. violates any stated rule, or fails to cooperate with staff will be asked to leave. Such action may also result in removal from the facility, judicial action or notification of University Police.
Participants must have clean dry shoes; must walk on track (in Events Center); joggers should use inside lanes and walkers should use outside lanes.
Participants must follow specific guidelines posted in FitSpace and the Group Fitness room.
Swimmers must wear a bathing suit and shower in locker room prior to entering pool; running is prohibited on pool deck; pollution of pool is prohibited (e.g urination, blowing of nose, etc.); and circle swim must be followed at all times when indicated.
Racquetball courts are locked at all times (effective Feb. 11, 2014), and users are required to show identification (University or recreation ID card) at the East Gym to obtain a key.
Access to the courts is limited to University students, faculty/staff (see details under "Open Recreation" above) and paid all-inclusive fitness members during posted open recreation hours.
At no time will any University staff unlock a racquetball court for use without approval from a building administrator or open recreation supervisor.
Racquetball court key check-out policies:
- Keys can be checked out for a maximum of two hours.
- User is responsible for locking the court after play and returning the key to the East Gym.
- User agrees to keep the court key in his or her custody and will not assign or sublease it to any other person.
- User is responsible for any unauthorized use of the key while it is assigned to his or her account, which may include restriction of court key privileges or revocation of membership.
- User is responsible for lost or un-returned key, as well as damage incurred to the key, lock, door or court while the key is checked out in his or her name.
- User must return the itemized court key that was checked out or will be charged for a lost key. Any key that is returned with uncommon signs of wear or damage will be charged to user's account. The current replacement fee for a racquetball court key is $65.
- User will not be able to check out any other rental equipment until a late/missing key is returned or account charges have been cleared with member services.
Racquetball users are strongly encouraged to wear protective eye gear when using the courts. To signal the court user(s) that you wish to enter the court, please switch off and on the light only when play is stopped. Do not open door while play is in session.
Tennis courts are for tennis play only; use of the courts for private lessons is strictly prohibited; courts are available on a first-come, first-serve basis; and courts are closed during inclement weather.
Outdoor Fields & Track
Classes, practices, competitions and other scheduled activities have priority usage of the track & fields; no golfing or alcoholic beverages are permitted in outdoor areas; rollerblades, bicycles, skateboards, pets, strollers, and cleats are not allowed on track; for safety reasons they are closed during periods of inclement weather. When practice is in session, track lanes 1-4 are reserved for varsity only & lanes 5-8 are for recreational use.
Violation of any stated or posted rules, regulations or policies; malicious use or defacing of facilities; verbal abuse of staff; or lack of cooperation with staff can result in notification of University Police, removal from facility, judicial action or loss of membership.