In efforts to practice social distancing and flatten the curve, the logistics of traditional student volunteering may not be possible this fall. Organizations seeking student help may need to develop ways in which people can volunteer remotely. Our Service Listings tool is still available for your use, and we recommend including "virtual," "remote" or "online" in your listing title when appropriate to attract the most volunteers.
Review the information and resources below to learn more about developing virtual volunteer opportunities for your organization.
- Assess your organization’s communication abilities, technology and needs.
- Identify urgent issues in your organization’s industry.
- Brainstorm creative tasks for virtual volunteers.
- Recruit volunteers with specific skills, such as social media, graphic design or language skills, that easily translate to remote or online work.
- Establish easy, regular communication with volunteers.
- Browse remote volunteer opportunities for national organizations, and see if they can be adapted to fit your organization’s needs on a local level. Some examples are available on our remote service website for students.
- Additional Resource: Virtual Volunteering for Individuals and Nonprofits
CCE staff are always available to assist you as you think through this process or if you have specific needs you are trying to address that would benefit from partnerships with campus entities or other community organizations facing similar issues. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-777-4287.