Environmental Studies Research

The process of  inquiry is very basic to an education in Environmental Studies, which is why our courses, from the introductory level to the upper-level involves student experiences in research. If you enjoyed those experiences, you may want to try doing more in-depth work. There opportunities (and funding!) for doing your own project as an independent studies class as well as working in labs involving Environmental Studies faculty. 

Campus Funding for Undergraduate Students in Environmental Studies

Research Labs and Programs

We have faculty working in a variety of areas across campus. Here are some of our facilities. 

Have Questions?

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    How do students get into a professor's research program?

    Students who work in professors' research programs are enrolled in ENVI 397. 

    What is the application process for new students interested in research?

    1. Study the faculty research programs. Talk with faculty. Read through the latest publications to see if you can imagine yourself doing similar work.

    2. Meet with a faculty member and talk with them about doing research, independent study, and/or a senior thesis.

    How do students get registered?

    When it is time to register for the intended semester, go to the Environmental Studies Program Advisor office and set up registration for an independent study.

    1. The number of credit-hours is variable, but most sign up for 4 credits.

    2. Be sure to save at least 12 hours a week (and even more!) for working on your research. Make sure that those hours are in big blocks of time, with a good portion during the normal work day.

    3. It is up to you and the professor to agree on the grading option.

    4. Usually independent studies and thesis classes are done as a graded option (A-F).

    5. You must get this project set up the semester before you start.

    6. Before intersession or summer break, ask for reading material so you will be prepared when you return.

    Is it possible to continue doing research next semester?

    Yes, if your faculty advisor agrees. You would then register in ENVI 497 by talking to the Environmental Studies Advisor.

    The Schumann Award–What is involved and how should students get started?

    The Environmental Studies Program grants the special Schumann Award to students who have done well in research and have written an honors thesis that has been accepted by a thesis committee. This award includes funds to cover research. Applications are due in mid-September of your senior year.

    Can students credit for doing research at another institution?

    You arrange this as an internship before hand. For more details, see Internships.

    Can students start the research experience earlier?

    Students can start earlier through the First Year Research Immersion Program.