Requirements for Earning a Harpur College Degree
- Successfully complete 126 credits and maintain a 2.0 GPA (C average)
- Successfully complete University-wide General Education requirements
- Successfully complete Harpur College requirements (Upper Level, Residency and Writing
- Successfully complete requirements for at least one Harpur major
A student must earn at least a 2.0 grade point average ("C") to earn a degree. The grade point average is based only on courses taken at Binghamton University and does not include courses transferred.
Harpur College students must successfully complete 126 credit hours or more in order to earn their degrees. Binghamton University awards 4-credit hours for most of its courses. In addition to Binghamton courses, the 126 credit hour total may include credits earned through courses taken at other institutions and transferred, Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate coursework and other credits by exam.
Every Binghamton student must complete this set of university-wide requirements. Courses are designated in the schedule of classes with a series of letters indicating which General Education requirement they fulfill. More information about the General Education Requirements.
Harpur students must complete additional requirements designed by Harpur College of Arts and Sciences to complement and extend the general education requirements and further your liberal arts education.
Harpur College Writing Requirement
The Harpur writing requirement exists beyond the general education composition and oral communications requirements. The writing requirement designations are:
Composition "C" Courses
- Emphasize writing as a process of revision
- Require a minimum of 20 pages of expository prose
- At least 50 percent of the course grade is based on student writing.
Writing "W" Courses
- Provide considerable experience in and feedback on writing as a tool of college-level teaching and learning
- Typically consist of a minimum of 10 pages of writing
- Written assignments constitute 30 to 100 percent of the basis for the grade in the course
Joint "J" courses will combine both composition and oral communication, meaning that they will require at least 2 oral presentations and evaluation of speaking along with 20 pages of writing.
To fulfill the requirement, students must complete one of three combinations:
2 "C" or "J" Courses plus 3 "W" Courses
3 "C" or "J" Courses plus 1 "W" Course
4 "C" or "J" Courses
Harpur College Upper Level Requirement
In order to provide for mastery in a subject, students are required to a minimum number of upper level credits (300+ level).
- For students who entered before Fall 2018: students must complete at least 44 upper level credits (300+ level)
- For students who entered Fall 2018 or later: students must complete at least 46 upper level credits (300+ level).
Harpur College Residency Requirement
Students are required to complete at least 44 credits in Harpur College.
Harpur College Liberal Arts Requirement
- For students who entered before Fall 2016 or after Fall 2021: All Harpur College students must complete at least 94 credits of liberal arts coursework.
- For students who entered between Fall 2016 and Spring 2021: All Harpur College students must complete at least 90 credits of liberal arts coursework.
Major requirements are designed by specific departments, and carry their own set of expectations and policies beyond the general University and College requirements. View major requirements in the University Bulletin.