Forms and Petitions

Harpur Academic Advising Forms and Petitions

Please read all instructions in their entirety before submitting the forms. If you have any questions, please call the office at (607) 777-6305.


Students who wish to add a course to their record after the add deadline or withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline, must complete the Late Course Add/Drop/Withdrawal Petition. The petition can be found on the BU Brain under the "Student" tab.  Please review the petition instructions page for complete instructions.

Late Course Withdrawal Petition Information 
Additional information about Harpur College's late course withdrawal petition can be found here.

OVERLOAD REQUEST FORM  - closed for spring 2023

Note: The Overload Request Form is for Harpur College undergraduate students requesting to enroll in additional credits beyond the semester 18 credit-hour limit. Overload requests can be submitted at the beginning of the Fall and/or Spring semesters. Requests are not accepted during pre-registration. Students may not overload during the winter and summer terms. 

Overload petition processing begins on the 1st day of each fall and spring semester. Petitions are reviewed in the order in which they are received and students are notified of the disposition of their request by email. Petitions are handled promptly, but because of the large numbers of requests, some students may not receive a response until late in the add/drop period.


  • Professional school students taking Harpur College courses must petition through the professional school's advising offices.
  • Double degree students must petition to overload through their professional school's advising offices

Transfer Credit Forms

Transfer Credit Petition: Major/Minor Requirements ONly

Students who would like to have transfer coursework reviewed to count toward their major/minor requirements should use this transfer petition to make their request through their academic department. Before completing this petition, please carefully review the submission instructions--in particular, instruction #4. Here, you will find a link to a list of petition review contacts for each academic department. Some departments have their own online form that they prefer students use, instead of the pdf. If your department has their own online form, this information will be noted in this list of petition review contacts. All other majors should use the pdf above.

Binghamton University Study Abroad Program Note: If you are taking coursework through a Binghamton University study abroad program, please do not use the form linked above. Courses taken through Binghamton University study abroad programs should be reviewed for major/minor credit by your academic department using the "Course Approval for Binghamton Study Abroad Programs" form. This form can be obtained from the Education Abroad Office (IEGI), and it should be returned to Education Abroad upon completion.


Continuing Students

Transfer Credit and Study Abroad Petition: Please use this petition to request general education, writing, or elective credit for transfer coursework, including domestic credit, international credit, and non-Binghamton study abroad credit (SUNY and non-SUNY).

Binghamton University Study Abroad Program Credit Petition (**for abroad programs that are sponsored by Binghamton University only**): Please use this petition to request general education or writing credit for coursework taken through a study abroad program that is sponsored by Binghamton University. *Please note: If your course will be taught by a Binghamton University faculty member, do not petition. All pre-approved equivalencies (including general education and/or writing attributes) will be noted on the Education Abroad program website. Please refer to the website for your study abroad program.

*Note: The petitions above are google forms. You must be signed into your BMail account to access these petitions. If you are in a location where you are unable to access google forms, please email and state that you need to submit a transfer petition, but are unable to access google forms. We will provide you with an alternate means of submitting your petition.

New Students 

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST SEMESTER AT BINGHAMTON (FRESHMAN OR TRANSFER): Use this online form to petition for the acceptance and/or application of transfer credits previously taken at other institutions.

*Please note: If you are a first semester student and you want to petition for the acceptance and/or application of FUTURE transfer credit from another institution, please use the Transfer Credit Petition above for continuing students.


  1. You must be a Harpur College student or pursuing a Harpur College minor. Professional school students taking Harpur College courses must petition through the professional school's advising offices.
  2. If the course you wish to transfer appears on the transfer course equivalency tables with the appropriate General Education designation, it is not necessary to petition for general education credit. You will receive the general education attribute noted on the tables.
  3. Please complete all relevant sections of the petition. Incomplete petitions will not be reviewed.
  4. Please complete one petition for EACH course you wish to take.

You will receive an email indicating the result of your petition within 5 business days of submission.

Students who wish to participate in internships or study abroad programs and who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that they will be asked about their prior criminal history. This may impede your ability to participate. Students who have concerns about such matters, or are looking for additional information, are advised to contact the dean's office of their intended academic program. For questions about how this may affect studying abroad, please contact the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives.

Please allow 4 weeks from the time you request a transcript from the other institution for the transcript to be received by Binghamton University. If your transfer credit is not appearing on your record after 4 weeks, you may use this online form to inquire about the status of your credit.

  • You must be a currently enrolled Harpur College student to use this form

Degree Audit Forms


The Harpur College Degree Audit Help Desk allows you to quickly and easily submit your degree audit question to the Harpur College Degree Audit Coordinator.  Students requesting assistance for the following should complete this form:

  • You repeated a course to fulfill a major or minor requirement. The grade for the repeated course needs to appear on the BU Brain.
  • Major/minor course overlap: You completed a course that counts towards your major and Harpur College minor. The final grade needs to appear on the BU Brain.

Please note: students who entered Binghamton University fall 2013 and later use DegreeWorks as their degree audit program. Students who entered Binghamton University before fall 2013 use DARS as their degree audit program. 

Please make sure to complete all of the required fields and use the menu options to select the appropriate exception.

Additional Forms & Resources

Please do not include your social security number on any electronic or print correspondence.

For students with catalog years prior to 2016: The Binghamton University General Education Laboratory (L) requirement may be satisfied by an Advanced Placement (AP) score of 3 or better in Biology, Chemistry, or Environmental Science only.  You must have received a passing grade in the corresponding high school course and have documentation of the laboratory activities in order for your request to be considered. 

Please use the form from the General Education website to obtain approval of laboratory activities from a Binghamton University faculty member from the respective department.  Complete Part 1 of the form and then contact the faculty member indicated on the form for more information on the type of documentation required to demonstrate laboratory activities.


For students who plan on transferring out of Binghamton University and need an Academic Advisor's signature for the Common Application Transfer College Report, Cornell University Report from College Official or similar forms, please email This process is not for students who plan on transferring credits back to Binghamton University - please see Transfer Credit Petitions listed above.


Under the provisions of FERPA, Harpur College Academic Advising cannot discuss your student records with other persons or entities without your expressed consent. This form allows you to give consent to specified persons, for a specified amount of time. Use this form only when requested or necessary. This form should also be used for requests for Letters of Good Standing. 


Use this form to withdraw from ALL classes for the current semester. The completed online form must be submitted by 4:00 pm on the last day of classes.