Mileage Rates

The IRS has released new mileage rates effective January 1, 2024. The new rate for business miles driven will be $0.67 per mile. The rate for medical or moving will be $0.21 per mile. The charitable organization rate remains the same at $0.14 per mile. IRS rate details can be found at the following link:

IRS Mileage Announcement for 2024

Per Diem Rates

The General Services Administration (GSA) per diem reimbursement rates for meals and lodging are now available at

GSA has the responsibility for establishing the per diem rates that Federal agencies use to reimburse their Federal travelers for expenses incurred while on official travel within the continental United States (CONUS).  GSA continues to use the industry-based Average Daily Rate, a widely accepted lodging-industry measure, to establish lodging rates in each non-standard area (NSA).  This data is obtained through a leading provider of hotel lodging industry data.  As in prior years, GSA continues to use mid-price properties in areas where the majority of Federal travelers stay. 


Making travel arrangements in advance can alleviate last-minute difficulties and ensure that travel resources are available. Some sponsors have travel conditions or restrictions, so it is best to consult with Accounts Payable and Purchasing Office (APPO) staff if you have any unusual travel circumstances or are uncertain of sponsor or Research Foundation travel policies.

Interested in travel tips, news and policy changes?  Please subscribe to the RF Travel mailing list by clicking here.

Travel advances

Travel advances are available if needed and requests should be forwarded within two weeks of the travel dates. To obtain an advance, complete a travel payment request form, the advance section, detailing the travel dates, destinations, estimated expenses and purpose for travel must be forwarded to APPO. Normally the advance will cover 80 percent of lodging and meals and 100 percent of transportation. Under special circumstances, however, advances over the 80 percent limit can be approved. No further travel advances will be issued if a prior advance has not been reconciled. Travel advances are to be reconciled within 30 days after the trip.  

Eligibility for meals

Meal eligibility guidelines:

  1. Must be in official travel status (a distance GREATER than 35 miles from employee's official station or place of residence.
  2. Allowance and reimbursement for breakfast and dinner follows is outlined below:

On day of departure:

Traveler is eligible for breakfast

If travel BEGINS before 7:00 am

Traveler is eligible for dinner

If travel BEGINS before 6:00 pm

On day of return:

Traveler is eligible for breakfast

If traveler RETURNS after 8:00 am

Traveler is eligible for dinner

If traveler RETURNS after 7:00 pm

  1. No allowance or reimbursement will be made for lunch.
  2. No allowance or reimbursement will be made if meals are provided by the conference meeting, or hotel.
  3. The rate at which the traveler will be allowed and reimbursed for domestic rates can be found at:

  4. Here is link for foreign per diem rates:
  5. RF employees are allowed or reimbursed for meals during non-overnight travel. Non-overnight meal payment allowances for ALL locations are as follows: Breakfast, $5; Dinner, $12. (The " Taxable Meal Payment Request & Authorization Form " MUST be attached to the travel reimbursement request.)

  6. New York State employees are NOT allowed or reimbursed for meals during non-overnight travel.
  7. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers reimbursements paid to a person for meal  expenses incurred during one-day, non-overnight travel as taxable income. Payments to RF employees for non-overnight meal expenses must be included in the employee’s paycheck as gross income and reported on the employee’s Wage and Tax Statement, IRS Form W-2 In addition, taxes must be withheld and fringe benefits must be charged to the account from which the employee is paid.
  8. Breakfast and dinner per diems must be deducted if included in conference and or meeting. This includes continental breakfast.
Registration payments

APPO can mail registration forms and payments directly to the conference or meeting facilitator. The project director may want to send the registration form and payment directly to meeting organizers and request reimbursement. We can use advance account if payment request is late but needs to be justified as to why late requisition/payment submission.

Travel reimbursement

The travel payment voucher should be submitted within 20 working days upon return from travel. If however the travel voucher is submitted beyond 6 months a justification for lateness is required. We require original hotel receipt, original airline receipt/invoice or internet printout of airfare charge, and conference brochure or announcement. Meal allowances generally do not require receipts. If a secondary source of funds is used to partially reimburse travel please provide documentation identifying the other funding. The Research Foundation uses lodging and meal allowances that are established by the federal General Services Administration.

In certain circumstances, the lodging rate charged is higher than the prescribed rate. To request reimbursement for rates that exceed the per diem rate please include an explanation for full reimbursement with the travel expense voucher. If staying at conference hotel and the rate exceeds GSA allowance, then no need for further lodging justification. Just note on travel voucher that hotel was conference site.

Travel reimbursement for non-project personnel

Research scholars, consultants, lecturers, etc. should be informed to save original lodging receipts, original airline or electronic printout receipt and should request tax exemption when traveling in New York State. If this documentation is not provided, then these expenses will be considered taxable income and a 1099 Miscellaneous Income statement will be issued. The travel payment voucher is the appropriate form to use to request travel reimbursement. Unless other arrangements have been made, the travel reimbursement rates will be at the GSA allowance.

Field expenses

We recommend when field research is conducted that the project director and staff maintain a log for all the expenses they incur. We recognize there are situations where obtaining receipts is not possible. GSA per diem rates are generally used for lodging and meals. Original receipts for lodging are required however no receipts are required for meals.

Travel Payment Request Form

Travel expenses must be documented on the Travel Payment Request Form or an equivalent form developed by the campus. Locations should not use SUNY travel forms. Location-specific forms must contain the same information as is in the "Travel Payment Request Form," which is available from the Forms resource area in the RF Web site.

Original Receipts

Use of receipts to document meal and lodging expenses is NOT required.

Schedules of Rates

Schedule 2, "Maximum Amounts Allowed for Breakfast and Dinner," under Method I lists allowances used for breakfast and dinner. No reimbursement is made for lunch.

Schedule 3, "Per Diem Allowances Within the United States," lists the per diem rates within New York State and other locations within the U.S.

Method I (When Lodging is Without Receipt) or Non‐overnight Meal Payment Allowances

Method I Per Diem Allowances within the United States

New York City and surrounding counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, and Westchester $50.00 Unreceipted Per Diem

Cities of Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and their surrounding metropolitan areas (any city, town, or village within 15 miles of these cities) $40.00 Unreceipted Per Diem

All other locations within New York State $35.00 Unreceipted Per Diem

All other locations within the continental US $50.00 Unreceipted Per Diem

Method I Examples

Example 1

A traveler leaves Albany on Monday at 6:00 a.m. to go to Buffalo and returns home Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. The traveler is eligible for 2 full meal per diems ($40/each - see Schedule 3) and a breakfast. For this example the traveler will be reimbursed the following:

Per diem (2 @ $40) $80.00

Plus breakfast on Wednesday $ 5.00 (see Schedule 2, Method I rates)

Total reimbursement $85.00

Example 2

A traveler leaves Buffalo on Monday at 8:00 p.m. to go to Chicago, IL and returns to Buffalo by 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Because the traveler is in overnight travel status for 2 nights, he is allowed 2 per diems ($50/each - see Schedule 3).

Based on meal eligibility, the traveler is entitled to one meal allowance on Tuesday, and one meal allowance on Wednesday, minus an adjustment for Wednesday's dinner. Because he is returning before 7:00 p.m., the traveler is not eligible for dinner on Wednesday.

Total payment is adjusted, and the traveler receives the following reimbursement:

Per Diem (2 @ $50) $100.00

Less dinner on Wednesday $ 12.00 (see Schedule 2, Method I rates)

Total reimbursement $ 88.00

Method II (Receipted Lodging)


This section describes the Research Foundation (RF) method of maximum reimbursement for lodging and meals by requiring lodging receipts.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for Method II rates, these two criteria must be met:

  • the traveler must be in overnight status, and
  • the traveler must save and submit valid receipts for lodging expenses.


Original Receipts

Use of receipts to document lodging expenses is required. When a traveler is in overnight travel status, lodging will be reimbursed at the actual cost, up to the maximum federal allowance (see the GSA Web site). Meal receipts are not required for meal reimbursements. All meals associated with overnight travel will be reimbursed at the federal per diem rate for the area of assignment.

Travel Payment Request Form

Travel expenses must be documented on the Travel Payment Request Form or an equivalent form developed by the operating location. This form is located in the Forms resource section of the RF Web site. Locations should not use SUNY travel forms. Location-specific forms must contain the same information as the Travel Payment Request Form.

Tax Exemption Forms and Certificates

See the Travel Within New York State (NYS) section below.

Full Meal Allowance

To be allowed a full meal per diem, these two criteria must be met:

  • the traveler must be eligible for both a breakfast and dinner as described in Meal Eligibility, and
  • the traveler must be in overnight status.

When the traveler is in overnight travel status but is not entitled to the full meal per diem because of the meal eligibility requirements, the traveler will receive the amount for the meal that is not part of the per diem (i.e., breakfast or dinner). These rates are provided in Schedule 2, in the section "Method II (Receipted Lodging) or Non-overnight Receipted Meal Expenses." Also, see examples in the example section.

Federal Per Diem Rates

The Research Foundation uses the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) per diem rates to establish maximum reimbursement. These rates

  • differ from state to state and city to city (destination determines a traveler's reimbursement rate).
  • include all applicable taxes and incidental expenses, such as tips to hotel maids and bellhops.
  • are updated and provided online by GSA.

Any amounts over the federal per diem rates must be approved by the operations manager or designee and must be documented as to why the rate is over the maximum. See Example 1 below.

Rates for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico are established by the Department of Defense. Official DoD Per Diem Rates are available online from the Defense Technical Information Center but can also be accessed from the GSA web site related to Travel and Transportation Management Policy. These rates are subject to change monthly.

Foreign travel per diem rates:

Travel Within New York State

The Research Foundation is exempt from NYS and New York City (NYC) sales and use taxes.

For travel within NYS, travelers should use the RF tax exempt certificate, "Exempt Organization-Exempt Purchase Certificate" form, to get exemption for all applicable taxes, including the NYC Hotel Room Occupancy Tax.

Note: A separate tax exempt certificate and letter are no longer required for NYC. Use the "Exempt Organization-Exempt Purchase Certificate" to claim all tax exemptions. Please contact Sponsored Funds at extension 76752 if you need this form.

Although it is RF policy not to reimburse travelers for New York taxes, operating locations may use their discretion as to whether or not taxes will be reimbursed. Operations managers or designees must document the reason for this reimbursement. 

Method II Examples

Example 1

A traveler goes to a conference in Boston. The conference is being held in a hotel with a rate of $265 per night. The maximum lodging per diem for Boston is $256. The over-the-maximum can be justified, because the traveler, staying at a different hotel, would have incurred additional transportation expenses to and from the conference.

(Note: This example uses 2010 GSA rates.)

Example 2

A traveler leaves Binghamton on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. and travels to NYC. The traveler returns to Binghamton at 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday.


Beginning in 1999, the GSA separates allowances for the different boroughs of NYC, so you must be more specific than "NYC." In this case, the traveler stayed in Manhattan where the maximum lodging amount is $360 per night.

Meal Allowances

The traveler is entitled to 3 full meal per diems and a dinner on Wednesday night (returned home after 7:00 p.m.). Manhattan is a $71 per diem location.

(Note: This example uses 2010 GSA rates.)

For this example, the traveler will be reimbursed the following:

Three nights lodging @ $340 = $1020.00

Three full per diems @ $71 = $213.00

Plus dinner on Wednesday @ $57.00

Total = $1,290.00

Mileage rate/allowance

The Research Foundation follows the IRS established rate for reimbursement of mileage when using a personal vehicle. An online mapping provider such as Google Maps or other,  printout should be provided to substantiate the mileage claim. Below are effective mileage rates:

Effective 1/1/24 - $0.67 per mile

Vehicle rental

Vehicles should be rented only when in the best interest of the project or the Research Foundation. Some reasons for renting are when it is the least costly alternative; it is the only mode of transportation available; or will eliminate substantial delays. Travelers should rent vehicles in the name of the Research Foundation to ensure that the Research Foundation and the traveler are covered by Research Foundation insurance. The original vehicle rental receipt must be attached to travel voucher claiming reimbursement. A justification for vehicle rental must also be attached to travel payment voucher.

Insurance Offered by Rental Agencies

Rental agencies may offer the following types of insurance for short-term vehicle rentals:

  • Damage Waiver Protection
  • Personal Effects Insurance
  • Personal Accident Insurance
  • Liability Insurance.

Operating locations should follow the guidelines described below for each type of insurance.

Damage Waiver Protection

Damage waiver protection coverage, also known as loss-damage waiver (LDW) or collision damage waiver (CDW), is available and MUST be purchased for all short-term vehicle rentals. This cost is generally an allowable charge to the sponsored program account.

Personal Effects Insurance

Insurance for personal items is the responsibility of the individual. It is not an allowable charge against the sponsored program award and is not covered under the insurance policies of the RF. Personal items do not include sponsored program research equipment insured under the RF floater policy.

Reporting Accidents To the Rental Agency:

All accidents must be reported immediately to the rental agency. In addition, the authorized driver is required to complete the agency’s accident report form. Failure to comply with the requirements of the rental agency for reporting an accident or damage to the rental vehicle could result in the driver being held personally liable for any costs.

To the RF Central Office:

All accidents must also be reported to the Office of the Chief Financial Officer by calling (518) 434-7052, or by faxing information to (518) 935-6712 or sent via email to


All claims must be forwarded to the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. The information can be faxed to (518) 935-6712, or sent via email to

The RF’s insurance carrier reserves the right to deny coverage due to late reporting of a claim.

Telephone and other communication services

Necessary local and long distance telephone calls for business purposes are reimbursable when appropriately documented on the travel payment request form. Long distance telephone calls must be supported by listing on the form: name of party called, place called, date of call, and reason for call. For local calls, only date of call is required. With respect to telegrams, the name and address of the person to whom the telegram was sent and the date must be noted on the travel payment request form. Charges for necessary faxing of documents are reimbursable. The date, purpose, fax number to which the document was sent, recipient, and number of pages must be noted on the travel payment request form. Receipts, if available, should be attached to the form. Personal Calls: While the traveler is in travel status, the RF will reimburse for personal calls that allow the traveler reasonable contact with his or her immediate family. Each campus will establish its own method of reimbursement, documentation, and description of reasonableness.

Accompanying dependents

Travel costs for dependents accompanying the traveler are not reimbursable except when allowed by the sponsor. Written evidence documenting sponsor approval must accompany the travel payment form in all cases when such costs are claimed.

Extended travel status

When a traveler is on extended travel status and makes arrangements for accommodations at other than a hotel/motel, the Research Foundation will determine whether the per diem should be adjusted to an amount commensurate with the cost incurred. According to IRS regulations, an assignment expected to last less than one year will usually be treated as temporary. The Research Foundation will also determine whether it is in the best interest of the sponsored project or Research Foundation to change the employee's official station to the address of the office to which the individual is assigned for the extended period of stay. The Research Foundation may also authorize an employee to be reimbursed for expenses incurred on weekends and holidays while if in travel status on these days.

Foreign/International travel

Please contact the APPO travel office at 76752 before traveling internationally. Rules governing export controls may require federal agency prior approval or restrict travel to certain locations. See link regarding current travel warnings:

A Request to Travel to Countries with Travel Warnings form must be completed before traveling to a restricted country. Failure to comply can result in penalties, including fines and imprisonment. Also, please remember to register with the US Department of State STEP program to maintain security awareness at your destination.

Foreign per diem rates:

Foreign Travel Benefits Programs

International travel for research and training has become an increasingly common activity of sponsored programs. To support this important activity, the Board of Directors of the Research Foundation (RF) authorized the RF to provide blanket international travel assistance coverage, as well as emergency health insurance benefits, for all persons (other than independent contractors) traveling overseas on official Research Foundation business. We encourage you to review link below and call 76752, the APPO travel office if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Effective January 1, 2018 our new Global Emergency Assistance coverage will be with Blue Cross Blue Shield Global (formerly known as GeoBlue). Blue Cross Blue Shield Global is the provider we currently use for our international Expatriate and Traveler Plan. By utilizing Blue Cross Blue Shield Global, there will be more continuity of coverage between traveler benefits and emergency assistance.

Individuals with upcoming international travel will only now need to register on the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global website, prior to traveling. In addition, in the event of an emergency while traveling on RF business, travelers would contact Blue Cross Blue Shield Global at 1 855.282.3517 (U.S.) or +1 610.254.5304 (collect outside the U.S.). Individuals who are currently traveling abroad on RF business whose travel extends beyond 1/1/18 will automatically be covered under the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Emergency Assistance Plan. There is no need for current travelers to take any additional action, unless they have not already registered on the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global website.

Go to link for details: 

GeoBlue Transition Tips:

Travelers should be reminded to call or email our Global Health & Safety team 24 hours a day 7 days a week for assistance in finding providers, arranging appointments and guarantees of payment (and in emergencies, evacuations/repatriations/ mortal remains calling the team is imperative rather than emailing). Phone: 1.610.254.8771 the same holds true for assistance when requesting Political Evacuation and Natural Disaster services.

Once Travelers register online, they may print an ID card and then download the GeoBlue app to their smartphones. They log in to the mobile App with the same username and password that they created online and they have full access to everything that is on the website. The App allows travelers to search for providers, request appointments, find medication availability, translate medical terms and phrases and it also has an audio feature to use. They can also display their ID card right from the phone and send a copy to the provider in advance of the appointment.

To register online: Visit and click on Register Now which is located in the top right corner.

Under Traveler Plan Members, enter the following Group Access Code: QHG999999RSF

Complete the User Profile, accept the conditions of Site Access Agreement and click on Register.

Also, if anyone needs a proof of insurance letter to obtain a Visa to travel they may reach out to the Customer Service team to obtain the letter. Customer Service: 888.243.2358 or 1.610.254.8769 or via email:

US Carrier

Commercial Airplane

This section describes the Research Foundation’s (RF) policy for traveling by commercial airplane, the expenses that are reimbursable, and documentation requirements for reimbursement. Travelers are expected to use the lowest-priced available, appropriate, coach-class airfare. First class or other premium airfare may be used when no reasonable alternative is available. In compliance with the Fly America Act, all travel on federally funded projects must be on a U.S. flag air carrier. See below for Fly America Act information.

Nonrefundable Airline Tickets

Nonrefundable airline tickets should not be charged to a sponsored program account if a trip is cancelled. According to OMB requirements, "Cost Principles for Educational Institutions," a cost can be charged to a project if there is a direct benefit to the project. If the trip is cancelled, there is no benefit to the project, and the cost should be absorbed by the campus. If in the future the principal investigator wants to pay the airline transfer fee and use the ticket for another purpose benefiting the project, then the cost of the ticket plus the transfer fee can be charged to the sponsored project.

Documentation Requirements

Requests for reimbursement for airplane tickets should be supported by the passenger's portion of the airline ticket or an e-ticket. Any other documentation should be attached to the travel reimbursement form that shows reasonable proof that the trip was made (e.g. airline receipt). Requests for reimbursement for first class or other premium accommodations must be supported by explanatory statements and supporting documentation, if any, attached to the Travel Payment Request form or equivalent form. The cost of the ticket should be recorded on the form.

Policies regarding Trip Cancellation Insurance

Trip cancellation insurance –reimbursement is allowed for protection against changes in travel plans (e.g., airfare refundable insurance), provided it is reasonably cost-beneficial. It is noted that non-refundable airline tickets must not be charged to a sponsored program award if a trip is canceled.


Guidelines for International Travel Paid for by the US Government

In order to help clarify the basic rules and regulations of the Fly America Act, Travel-On has prepared this brochure to assist those people traveling on international trips being paid for by the U.S. Government. Most of this information is taken directly from Section 301-3.6 of the Federal Travel Regulations as amended on February 23, 1990 and effective on March 23, 1990.


I.  Definitions

  1. The Fly America Act. The "Fly America Act" refers to the provisions enacted by section 5 of the International Air Transportation Fair Competitive Practices Act of 1974 (pub. L. 93-624, Jan. 3, 1975), 49 U.S.C. App. 1517, as amended by section 21 of the International Air Transportation Competition Act of 1979 (Pub. L. 96-192, Feb. 15, 1980). 94 Stat. 43.

  2. U.S. Flag Air Carrier. The term "U.S. flag air carrier" means an air carrier holding a certificate under section 401 of the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 (49 U.S.C. App. 1371). Foreign air carriers operating under permits are excluded.

  3. United States. For purposes of the Fly America Act, "United States" means the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the territories and possessions of the United States (49 U.S.C. App. 1301(38)).

  4. Gateway Airport in the United States. A "gateway airport in the United States" means the last airport in the United States from which the traveler's flight departs, or the first airport in the United States at which the traveler's flight arrives.

  5. Gateway Airport Abroad. "A gateway airport abroad" means the airport abroad from which the traveler last embarks enroute to the United States or at which the traveler first debarks incident to travel from the United States.

II. General Requirements of the Fly America Act

The Fly America Act, 49 U.S.C. App. 1517, as implemented in the Comptroller General's guidelines, Decision B-138942, March 31, 1981, requires Federal employees and their dependents, consultants, contractors, grantees, and others performing United States Government financed foreign air travel to travel by U.S. flag air carriers:

  1. Unless travel by foreign air carrier is a matter of necessity as defined in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, or

  2. When U.S. flag air carrier service is available within the guidelines in paragraphs (b)(4)(5) of this section.

III. Necessity for Use of Foreign Air Carrier Service

Use of foreign air carrier service may be deemed necessary if a U.S. flag air carrier otherwise available cannot provide the air transportation needed, or use of U.S. flag air carrier service will not accomplish the agency's mission.

IV. Availability of U.S. Flag Carrier Services

1. General. U.S. flag air carrier service is available even though: Comparable or a different kind of service can be provided at less cost by a foreign air carrier; Foreign air carrier service is preferred by or is more convenient for the agency or traveler; or, Service by a foreign air carrier can be paid for in excess foreign currency, unless U.S. flag air carriers decline to accept excess foreign currencies for transportation payable only out of these monies. (See also paragraph (b)(5)(iv) of this section.)

2. Scheduling Principals. In determining availability of U.S. flag air carrier service, the following scheduling principals should be followed unless their application results in the last or first leg of travel to and from the United States being performed by foreign air carrier: U.S. flag air carrier service available at point of origin should be used to destination or, in the absence of direct or through service, to the furthest interchange point on a usually traveled route; Where an origin or interchange point is not served by U.S. flag air carrier, foreign air carrier service should be used only to the nearest interchange point on a usually traveled route to connect with U.S. flag carrier service; or, Where a U.S. flag air carrier involuntarily re-routes the traveler via a foreign air carrier, the foreign air carrier may be used notwithstanding the availability of alternative U.S. flag air carrier service.

V. Guidelines for Determining Unavailability of U.S. Flag Air Carrier Service

1. Travel to and from the United States: Passenger service by a U.S. flag air carrier will not be considered available when the travel is between a gateway airport in the United States and a gateway airport abroad and the gateway airport abroad is: The traveler's origin or destination airport, and the use of U.S. flag air carrier service would extend the time in a travel status, including delay at origin and accelerated arrival at destination, by at least 24 hours more than travel by foreign air carrier.

2. Travel Between Two Points Outside the United States: For travel between two points outside the United States, U.S. flag air carrier service will not be considered to be reasonably available: If travel by foreign air carrier would eliminate two or more aircraft changes enroute; Where one of the two points abroad is the gateway airport en route to or from the United States, if the use of the U.S. flag air carrier would extend the time in travel status by at least 6 hours more than travel by a foreign air carrier, including accelerated arrival at the overseas destination or delayed departure from the overseas origin, as well as the gateway airport or other interchange point abroad; or, Where the travel is not part of a trip to or from the United States, if the use of a U.S. flag air carrier would extend the time in travel status by at least 6 hours more than traveled by foreign air carrier including delay at origin, delay en route and accelerated arrival at destination.

3. Short Distance Travel: For all short distance travel, regardless of origin and destination, U.S. flag air carrier service will not be considered available when the elapsed travel time on a scheduled flight from origin to destination airport by foreign air carrier is 3 hours or less and service by U.S. flag air carrier would involve twice the travel time.

4. Travel Finances Solely with Excess Foreign Currencies: U.S. flag air carriers render themselves unavailable by declining to accept payment in foreign currencies for transportation services required by certain programs or activities of the Government which, under legislative authority, are financed solely with excess foreign currencies which may not be converted to U.S. dollars. In these instances, and notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (b)(4)(I)(C) of this section, foreign flag air carriers that will accept the required foreign currency may be used to the extent necessary to accomplish the mission of the particular program or activity. The statement of justification required under paragraph (c)(3) of this section must indicate that the transportation service needed can be paid for only in excess foreign currencies and that otherwise available U.S. flag air carriers declined to accept payment in the foreign currencies.


I. Authorization or Approval: Expenditures for commercial foreign air transportation on foreign air carrier(s) will be disallowed unless there is attached to the appropriate voucher a certificate or memorandum adequately explaining why service by U.S. flag air carrier(s) is not available, or why it was necessary to use a foreign air carrier. Use of foreign flag air carriers may be authorized or approved only when U.S. flag air carrier service is not available as determined under the guidelines in paragraph (b) of this section, or when foreign air carriers are used under the reciprocal terms of an appropriate bilateral or multilateral agreement as described in paragraph (c)(2) of this section. II. Air Transport Agreements: Nothing in the guidelines in paragraph(b) of this section shall preclude and no penalty shall attend the use of a foreign air carrier which provides transportation under an air transport agreement between the United States and a foreign government, the terms of which are consistent with the international aviation goals set forth at 49 U.S.C. App. 1502(b) and provide reciprocal rights and benefits. III. Justification Statement: A statement executed by the traveler or agency justifying the use of a foreign flag air carrier for any part of foreign travel must be entered on or attached to the travel voucher, transportation request, or any other payment document. Each request for a change in route or schedule which involves the use of a foreign flag air carrier must be accompanied by a statement justifying such use. The following is a guide for preparing the justification statement: IV. Employee Liability for Disallowed Expenditures: Where the travel is by indirect route or the traveler otherwise fails to use available U.S. flag air carrier service, the amount to be disallowed against the traveler is based on the loss of revenues suffered by U.S. flag air carriers as determined under the following formula set forth and more fully explained in 56 Comp. Gen. 209 (1977): Sum of certificated carrier segment mileage authorized (¸) Sum of all segment mileage authorized (x) Fare payable by Gov't Minus (-) Sum or certificated carrier segment mileage, traveled (¸) Sum of all segment mileage, traveled (x) Through fare paid


On September 25, 1991 the Comptroller General released a decision regarding the Code Sharing of flights by U.S. and foreign flag carriers utilizing the equipment of the foreign flag carrier. This is announced in Comp. Gen. File B-240956. The decision is as follows: The question in this case, presented by the Department of State, is whether a U.S. flag air carrier's arrangement to provide passenger service in international air transportation on the aircraft of a foreign air carrier under a "code-share" arrangement with the foreign air carrier would meet the requirements of the Fly America Act, 49 U.S.C. App. 1517 (1988). Since it appears that such service generally would be considered to be service by a U.S. air carrier in international air transportation rather than by a foreign air carrier, that service should also be considered transportation provided by a U.S. air carrier for purposes of the Fly America Act. As long as the flight is booked thru a US carrier, although you fly foreign carrier, this is chargeable to a federal award.

Travel Warnings

The U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs decides, based on relevant information, to issue travel warnings to U.S. citizens, recommending that Americans avoid travel to certain counties. The countries and dates the travel warnings were issued are listed on the Current Travel Warnings Web site.


Travelers using RF funds going to any country indicated by the U.S. Department of State with a travel warning MUST have advance written approval from the campus operations manager and campus president or delegate which is Risk Management Office, with written notice to the RF's central office before traveling. The Request to Travel to Countries with Travel Warningsform must be completed and approved prior to travel to Countries with Travel Warnings (CTW).

It is the responsibility of the traveler to check the Current Travel Warnings list before traveling, to obtain the necessary authorization, and to read and abide by the information contained in the travel warning. Travelers should also read the Department of State's "Tips for Traveling Abroad."

CDC Travel Health Notices

Types of Notices

Warning Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel

Alert Level 2, Practice Enhanced Precautions

Watch Level 1, Practice Usual Precautions

Travel notices are designed to inform travelers and clinicians about current health issues related to specific destinations. These issues may arise from disease outbreaks, special events or gatherings, natural disasters, or other conditions that may affect travelers’ health.