TRIO Mentors help new SSS students acclimate to campus during their first semester at Binghamton. They share campus resources and personal experience to help navigate common scenarios on campus such as getting a job or internship, finding volunteer opportunities, registering for courses, signing up for campus housing and more.
TRIO Mentor applicants must:
- Apply using the Google form emailed out to the listserv toward the end of the fall semester of each year — be ready to upload a cover letter and resume
- Successfully interview
- Complete our Mandatory Leadership Training (not for credit) during the spring semester (held on Fridays from 3:30–4:30 p.m.)
- Complete our CDCI 395 Internship Seminar (2 credits) during the fall semester
SSS provides free tutoring support for all of its program participants in a number of different subjects both by appointment and on a drop-in basis. Drop-in schedules are available at the SSS office and here.
Want to be an SSS Tutor?
We have both paid & internship positions. If you have completed the CDCI Tutor Training Internship, you can apply to be a paid tutor using this Google form.
In order to become a paid SSS Tutor, you must complete the CDCI 395 Tutor Training Internship (2 credits). The internship is only a 1 semester commitment & happens in both the fall and spring semesters.
Tutor Intern applicants must:
- Have at least 1 semester of graded coursework at Binghamton
- Have a B or better in the subject you'd like to tutor
- Have a 3.0 or better GPA
- You DO NOT need prior tutoring experience - we teach you how!
- You DO NOT need to be an expert in the subject you want to tutor - you are not a professor!
- Apply using this Google form — be ready to upload a cover letter & resume
Need more convincing? Read these tutor intern testimonials!
If you have more questions, email Alicia Hibbard.
Student Advisory Board
Student Advisory Board raises ongoing awareness about the needs of SSS students, allowing SSS students to achieve academic success and become actively engaged across campus and in the community. To apply and learn more, email Kayla McLoughlin
Work with SSS! To apply and learn more, contact Jazmine Powell.