The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), and ancillary units aim to foster an inclusive and equitable environment welcoming all students, faculty, staff and the local community. DEI provides training and programming that promote the core values of the University and division: unity, inclusion and equity. DEI also offers support, mediation and guidance to all campus constituents regarding bias, inequality and discrimination.
Learn more about our Road Map Strategice Priority 3: Inclusive Campus goals and progress.
Who we are
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion was created from the Binghamton University Road Map process and supports the development and implementation of diversity and inclusion initiatives. We understand diversity as encompassing all individuals and groups, as well as social, cultural, political, religious and other affiliations. The office supports human diversity in our learning and working environs and promotes an atmosphere where prejudice, harassment and discrimination are unacceptable. Review our divisional staff directory for a listing of our staff and diversity officers.
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is located in the Glenn G. Bartle Library, LS-G548.
What we do
- Provide oversight of the University's recruitment process for faculty and staff.
- Provide professional development for faculty, staff and students realted to cultural competency, civility, equity and inclusion.
- Encourage and support the retention of underrepresented faculty, staff and students.
- Conduct investigations regarding alleged discrimination or bias in the work environment, recruitment process, tenure process and in our classrooms and university spaces.
- Conduct equity studies.
- Unity: We find common ground to ensure people of all identities are not only included but feel valued within our community and across the world.
- Identity: We work to challenge normative assumptions of identity and provide space for support and growth.
- Excellence: We provide leadership and development in the field of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Justice: We foster a collective responsibility to address harms and injustices, both past and present.
- Transparency: We are committed to open, honest, and consistent communication with our communities.
- Engagement: We believe that the work of solving systemic inequities takes an inclusive collaborative approach.
DEI Diversity Statement
Unity, identity and excellence are our core values. Excellence is inextricably intertwined with diversity, equity and inclusion. We celebrate all aspects of human diversity. We unite and overcome boundaries, creating a campus that values social justice, eliminates barriers to access, and allows individuals to authentically express themselves in all their dimensions. We believe that a thriving campus is one where everyone feels supported, encouraged, and can do their best, and where all voices can be heard, acknowledged and celebrated.
DEI units and offices
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is comprised of the Office of the Vice President, the Affirmative Action Office, the UDiversity Educational Institute, the Multicultural Resource Center, the Q Center and the Academic and Divisional Diversity Officers.
- Alumni of Color Network
- Asian and Asian American Alumni Council
- Bing Sistas
- Brothers Lunch
- Korean Alumni Network
- LGBTQ+ Alumni Network
- Professionals of Color