Binghamton’s Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters fundamental respect for humanity by providing premiere leadership in research, education, and engagement in solving systemic inequities, inaccessibility, and barriers to success.
Unity, identity and excellence are our core values. Excellence is inextricably intertwined with diversity, equity and inclusion. We celebrate all aspects of human diversity. We unite and overcome boundaries, creating a campus that values social justice, eliminates barriers to access, and allows individuals to authentically express themselves in all their dimensions. We believe that a thriving campus is one where everyone feels supported, encouraged, and can do their best, and where all voices can be heard, acknowledged and celebrated.
Who We Are
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is now DEI.
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion was created from the Binghamton University Road Map process and supports the development and implementation of diversity and inclusion initiatives that create a welcoming campus climate that exudes a fundamental respect for human diversity in all its dimensions. We view diversity as encompassing all individuals and groups, as well as social, cultural, political, religious and other affiliations. The office is committed to the idea of respect for human diversity in our learning and working environs and to creating an atmosphere where prejudice, harassment and discrimination are unacceptable. Review our divisional staff directory for a listing of our staff and diversity officers.
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is located in the Glenn G. Bartle Library, LS-G548.
What We Do:
- Provide oversight of the University's recruitment process for faculty and staff
- Provide professional development for faculty staff and students as it relates to cultural competency, civility, equity and inclusion
- Encourage and support the retention of underrepresented faculty, staff and students
- Conduct investigations regarding alleged discrimination or bias in the work environment, recruitment process, tenure process and in our classrooms and university spaces.
- Conduct equity studies
- Unity: We find common ground to ensure people of all identities are not only included but feel valued within our community and across the world.
- Identity: We work to challenge normative assumptions of identity and provide space for support and growth.
- Excellence: We provide leadership and development in the field of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Justice: We foster a collective responsibility to address harms and injustices, both past and present.
- Transparency: We are committed to open, honest, and consistent communication with our communities.
- Engagement: We believe that the work of solving systemic inequities takes an inclusive collaborative approach.
Major components of DEI
The Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is comprised of the Office of the Vice President, the UDiversity Educational Institute, the Multicultural Resource Center, the Q Center and the Academic and Divisional Diversity Officers.
DEI Annual Reports
- Faculty and Staff of Color Association
- Alumni of Color Network
- LGBTQ+ Alumni Network