New York State Grants

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Undergraduates may apply for TAP for the summer, fall and spring semesters, and may receive TAP for up to four years of study (eight semesters) unless you are enrolled in EOP which allows an additional year of TAP payments. Binghamton University's TAP code is 0880.

TAP provides undergraduate students who are residents of New York state and meet financial and academic criteria with grants from $500 to $5,665 per academic year. Limits for minimum and maximum awards are determined by the New York State Legislature. Get an estimate of your TAP award.

TAP eligibility

  • New York state resident and either a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or refugee and meet income guidelines
  • Be charged in-state tuition and meet the requirements for the NYS Dream Act:
  • Have graduated from a high school in the United States, or earned a high school equivalency

*Student who graduated from a high school outside of the United States? find out how to establish TAP eligibility.

How to apply for TAP

  • Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • After completing your FAFSA, immediately start your NYS Student Aid Payment application.
  • If you miss the state application link after finishing the FAFSA, you will receive an email from NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) directing you to complete the application
  • You must complete an application for New York state student aid every year in which you wish to receive payment for any state grants and/or scholarships.

Read complete details about applying for TAP.

Timeline for application and posting of award(s)

  • The TAP application opens when the FAFSA application opens every year, and is available to complete through the June after the aid year ends for which the student is applying. 
  • Once the application is submitted to HESC, processing will start.  If anything is needed or is incomplete, HESC will communicate with the applicant.  The application status can always be checked through the "Student Access" portal on
  • All aspects of the TAP application must be completed before HESC will send any New York State award to Binghamton.  This includes the income verification process.
  • Once the full application is processed, HESC will send Binghamton University the TAP award, if eligible.
  • Awards are posted every Friday starting mid-July.
  • TAP will credit the student's account once received from HESC, until certification.  Certification for TAP occurs after the 100% tuition liablity date.  See Student Accounts Financial Liability Deadlines.
  • After certification, TAP will disburse.  If a refund is generated as a result of disbursement, the refund will go directly to the student based on student refund preference. 

How does TAP work?

  • TAP is awarded for the academic year, but is certified every semester based on the successful completion of the prior semester’s requirements, including completed credit hours and GPA. Additionally, you must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits that are ALL applicable to your degree requirements or declared major. 
  • Every semester, if awarded, an actual TAP will show as a credit on the bill, viewable on QuikPay. However, in order for the TAP funds to pay, your eligibility must be certified by the institution every semester. 
  • If your TAP is not certified, you will be notified. You will also no longer receive credit on your bill for TAP, which may create an account balance. If you have questions regarding why you were decertified, please contact our office. Otherwise, you will have to contact Student Accounts to resolve any outstanding account balance that may have resulted.

SUNY Tuition Credit

  • TAP-eligible students are also eligible to receive a SUNY Tuition Credit award to offset tuition charges. This award is calculated and based on the level of a student's TAP award.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

APTS provides grant assistance up to $1,000 for eligible part-time students enrolled
between 3-11 credits and who are in an approved undergraduate program of study.
Students must meet the additional eligibility requirements that can be reviewed at the
NYS Higher Education Services Corporation’s APTS website.  

If interested, please review, complete and submit the APTS application along with a signed copy of the relevant 2020 New York State income tax return (Form IT-201).

The application can be found on the following Financial Aid forms webpage.