Note: The Overload submission form is closed for SPRING 2023. Please submit a late add petition on BU Brain. The overload will be evaluated once
the add petition is received. Overload requests can be submitted at the beginning
of the Fall and/or Spring semesters.
Students may not overload during the winter and summer.
The normal credit load for Harpur students is 12-18 credits. Those who want to carry additional credits are bound by the following rules:
Returning binghamton students with a 3.30 GPA or better:
- Starting on the 1st day of the semester, the registration system will automatically allow students to register for up to 22 credits on the first day of the semester. Students with a 3.3 GPA or higher who only want to take 19 to 22 credits do not need to complete the petition.
- If you wish to enroll in 23 or 24 credits, you must petition. Credit loads of 23-24 credits must be reviewed by the Harpur College Academic Standards Committee. Be aware that this Committee may not meet until the 4th week of the semester. Students wishing to overload to 23 or 24 credits should continue to attend classes until getting the results of their petition.
Students with less than a 3.30 GPA who wish to take more than 18 academic credits (academic credits are defined as courses not offered through OUT, THEP & MUSP):
- You must petition to take more than 18 credits.
- Overload petitions will be considered beginning on the first day of the semester. Students must present a strong rationale. Extenuating circumstances may be considered.
- All petitions for 23 or 24 credits will be automatically referred to the Harpur College Academic Standards Committee. Be aware that this Committee will not meet until the 4th week of the semester.
Students who will not be approved to take more than 18 academic credits (academic credits are defined as courses not offered through OUT, THEP, and MUSP):
- First semester Binghamton students (freshman or transfers) are not permitted to take more than 18 academic credits.
- Students on probation are not permitted to take more than 18 academic credits.
- Students may not overload during winter or summer term.
- The overload petition will be available by the first day of classes each semester.
- Approved overload petitions submitted prior to the first day of classes will be entered beginning on the first day of classes.
- Students will receive the results of their petition via their Binghamton email address.
- Petitions submitted after the first day of the semester will be reviewed in the order in which they are received.
- Approval of an overload does not constitute registration in a course. Approved students who do not register before the add deadline must petition for a late add.
- Questions about the overload policy should be directed to the Harpur College Academic Advising Office.
Note: Double degree students must petition to overload through their professional school's advising offices.
Commonly asked questions about Harpur Overloads:
I was approved for an overload by the course isn't on my schedule. Why not?
Overload approval is a separate process from adding a course. Students are responsible for adding courses to their schedule. If it is before the add deadline, students should add their courses to their schedule through BU Brain. Occasionally a course is closed or restricted; students will need to go to the department office to be added. If it is after the add deadline, please submit a late add petition.
Why do I have to wait until the first day of the semester to add course I am approved to overload?
Harpur College wants to provide all students with an equal opportunity to register for courses and does so by allowing all students time prior to the first day of classes to get a full schedule.