The Libraries can host research and student journals on The ORB. The ORB, Binghamton's institutional repository, is hosted by bepress. There are no fees to set up a journal. Priority will be given for journals that are open access and peer-reviewed.
The Libraries will assist with setting up the journal and will facilitate training with bepress on the use of the journal interface, submission, and editorial processes. Once a journal has been established, the Libraries will serve as a liaison between the journal editors and bepress in order to address any issues or questions. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for Open-Access Electronic Journal Hosting and Distribution is required between the Libraries (publisher) and journal editors (sponsor).
Services included for journal publication include:
- Access to and training on the bepress publishing systems
- Intellectual property rights consultation
- Consultation on the migration of existing content
- Creation and management of standard identifiers (e.g., ISSN, DOIs, etc.)
- Assistance with applying to DOAJ and other indices
- Preservation of digital publications
If you are interested in setting up a journal on the ORB please contact email@example.com
Process for Establishing a New Journal
- The Libraries and Chief Editor(s) meet to discuss the proposed journal. Topics discussed
at this first meeting may include:
- Review of the MOU
- Composition of Editorial Board
- Proposed frequency of publication
- Plans to include DOIs (digital object identifiers) for articles or data
- Plans for dissemination of journal
- Plans for having the journal indexed by DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) and other publishers
- A MOU between the libraries and editor/journal contact will be signed.
- The Chief Editor will establish an editorial board. This may include the appointment of a Library Faculty Editor, if specified in MOU.
- The Editors will complete bepress journal set up form
- Editors will be trained on interface by bepress (facilitated by the Libraries).
- The Editors will have follow-up discussions with bepress regarding branding and design mock-ups. Journals hosted on bepress will require a color scheme and a banner or cover photo.
- The Editors will create the following documents for the journal website:
- Aims and scope
- Author guidelines and instructions
- Author agreement/ licensing policy
- Open access policy
- Peer review status and a publically available statement of the peer review process
- Ethics and malpractice statement
- The Libraries will assist with the creation and management of standard identifiers (e.g., ISSN, DOIs, etc.) and will submit journal information to Ulrichweb.com
- Journal is launched. Libraries will promote the journal on its website and social media sites.