Master of Music: Composition Concentration
Program Director: Daniel Thomas Davis, email@example.com
Binghamton's M.M. program offers advanced student composers a practice-based graduate program featuring unique performance opportunities with some of the world's finest ensembles and soloists. Current and incoming Master's students have the opportunity to work with, write pieces for, and enjoy performances from the following:
- Contemporaneous: Energetic 21-member orchestra that has worked with David Byrne, Dawn Upshaw and Julia Wolfe.
- Fifth House: Chicago’s pioneering ensemble, known for collaborations with video game designers, folk bands and theaters.
Momenta String Quartet: Praised by the New York Times for its "focused, fluid performance" and by Sequenza 21 for its "fire, fantasy and absolute musical commitment," the Momenta Quartet has premiered over 100 works in the past eight years and has collaborated with over 80 living composers.
Roomful of Teeth: Grammy-winning vocal project dedicated to mining the expressive potential of the human voice.
Yarn|Wire: “Mesmerizing” quartet of two pianists and two percussionists that has toured with Sufjan Stevens (New York Times).
Hub New Music: Boston-based “contemporary chamber trailblazers” (Boston Globe).
Lontano Ensemble (London, UK): One of London's premiere new music ensembles, Lontano has presented many concerts for the BBC and worldwide.
ModernMedieval: Pitch-perfect trio of voices that presents ancient and cutting-edge music in venues such as the Met Museum.
National Academy of Chinese Theatre Arts: Beijing’s center for Chinese Opera.
- Finger Lakes Chamber Ensemble: Frequent collaborations with Binghamton University’s string faculty on- and off-campus.
Binghamton University Symphony Orchestra & Chamber Singers
Tri-Cities Opera / Binghamton Opera Program
- Graduate Assistantships
- Generous Scholarships
- Extraordinary Professional Performances
- Award-winning Faculty
- Teaching Experience for M.M. Students
- Low Tuition
- Easy Connections to NYC
- Individualized Curriculum
- Collaborations across the Arts
- Frequent Masterclasses
- Record of Graduate Placements
- Supportive & Inclusive Community
- Minimum 12 credits in applied composition studies
- Minimum 4 credits in electives (ensembles and/or other courses)
- 12 credits in Music History, Research, and Analysis courses
- MM Thesis Portfolio
Please go to the Apply page for complete information regarding admissions, auditions, and interviews.
The MM program has a rolling admission and will accept applications at any time. If you wish to be fully considered for funding in the 2022-2023 year, you must submit your application by February 10, 2022.