New York State Office of the State Comptroller Travel Tips
- Before traveling, please contact your department to complete a Request & Authorization form.
- Before traveling internationally, please review the campus process for the request for approval of travel to restricted countries.
- Current Travel Warnings; Request to Travel to Countries with Travel Warnings
- Before traveling, familiarize yourself with the NYS Office of the State Comptroller’s Travel Rules and Regulations
Lodging over per-diem justification policy
Per NYS Office of the State Comptroller, PRIOR WRITTEN approval must be received for any lodging that will be above the area per diem rate. On the Interactive R & A Form, there is space provided to give such a justification. The signatures of the traveler and his/her supervisor will suffice to send to the Business Office for final approval.
Employee Travel Expense reports must be submitted to the Business Office with all of the required documentation (payable ready) within 30 calendar days of the end of the travel event …no exceptions! Employee State of New York Travel VoucherPlease attach (staple) to travel expense report:
- All original receipts for items you’re claiming payment for…expenses submitted without original receipts will not be reimbursed.
- Statement of Automobile Travel (mileage) form, if applicable, claiming whole miles only
- Supporting literature explaining the purpose of travel (conference registration and schedule, agenda, itinerary)
- Hotel lodging receipt showing lodging paid in full, even if you aren’t being reimbursed for lodging expense. This can be used to claim the area’s meal per-diem.
All original receipts for items you’re claiming payment for…expenses submitted without original receipts will not be reimbursed. Statement of Automobile Travel (mileage) form, if applicable, claiming whole miles only Supporting literature explaining the purpose of travel (conference registration and schedule, agenda, itinerary) Hotel lodging receipt showing lodging paid in full, even if you aren’t being reimbursed for lodging expense. This can be used to claim the area’s meal per-diem.
Airfare-NYS Employees cannot be reimbursed for airfare. You will need to obtain an air control number from the Travel Office. When filling out the R&A form, please note that you would like an air control number and fill out the contact information. We will assign you an air control number for you to charge your airfare at Plaza Travel (607)729-2225, our NYS contracted vendor.
If using your personally owned vehicle instead of a rental car, reimbursement will be the lesser of the rental vehicle rate or personal car mileage rate…a Statement of Automobile Travel (mileage form is needed any time a personally owned vehicle is used for travel. Enterprise / National Calculator or Hertz Current Calculator Interactive New York State Mileage Form
Please submit personal vs. rental car calculation with travel expense report.
- Hotel Tax is not reimbursable on NYS hotels. Please fill out and bring the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Exemption Certificate For Tax On Occupancy Of Hotel Rooms (Form ST-129) with you when checking in.
- If paying for your own lodging, please submit the original lodging receipt showing date of arrival, date of departure, room rate, taxes (if applicable) and payment in full.
Per-diem rates for domestic lodging and meals
NYS breaks down the meal per-diem rate at 20% for breakfast and 80% for dinner…click here for the NYS meal breakdown. Lunch/snacks are not a covered service by NYS and will not be reimbursed. There will be no reimbursement for meals provided by the conference/meeting/training/hotel.