NOMINATIONS FOR NEXT YEAR'S SENATE (2021-22 ACADEMIC YEAR) ARE OPEN THROUGH WEDNESDAY, APRIL 28.
Questions regarding nominations or the election process can be directed to the Rules Committee Chair, Robert Lawrence (email@example.com).
Eligibility for Senate Seats
All constituents of the Professional Staff Senate (PSS) who are not currently senators in the first year of a two year term are eligible to run for a senate seat. The constituency of PSS consists of all professional staff holding permanent, term, administrative or temporary appointment, with the exception of
- The President and Vice Presidents.
- Those with academic or qualified academic rank whose primary responsibility is teaching, research or the Library.
- Those with voting faculty privileges.
Staff Senators typically serve two-year terms and are required to attend biweekly meetings during the academic year. Members elected to the Senate are eligible to vote on campus governance issues, to chair internal committees, and to serve as officers.
Sample Candidate Statements
After confirming eligibility for running in the senate, candidates will be asked to provide a brief statement like the examples below.
- "I am new to the university and am interested in becoming more involved with staff government. I have held leadership roles in several organizations in the past and would like to bring my experience to PSS."
- "I have served on the Professional Staff Senate for the last two years, working on the Communications Committee and supporting programs and events organized by PSS. I have learned a great deal during my first term and want to continue acting as a voice for my peers in the Senate."