Binghamton University residential colleges are thoughtfully designed with the needs and preferences of students in mind. Disability access is incorporated into all newer facilities and wheelchair accessible accommodations are available in a wide range of residential areas on campus. Rooms with visual fire alarms are available to students with hearing impairments, upon request. While the University does not provide personal attendant care services, the SSD office can refer you to appropriate home care agencies and assist you in advocating with them for your needs.
Students with documented long-term or permanent disabilities or serious medical conditions may request housing accommodations. To be eligible for housing accommodations the student must have a disability and the disability must necessitate adjustments to the living environment.
To Request Housing Accommodations:
All students must participate in the Residential Life room self-selection process in order to guarantee on-campus housing. The request for a housing accommodation is a separate process and should be done as soon as you are aware of your need for this accommodation.
1. Complete the Housing Accommodation Request Form and return it to Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD). Early contact with Residential Life and SSD is critical.
- For new incoming students, Residential Life has the most flexibility to work with and meet accommodations for students who are approved prior to May 28, 2021.
- For returning students, Residential Life has the most flexibility to work with and meet accommodations for students who are approved prior to January 31, 2021.
2. After appropriate documentation has been submitted, SSD will reach out to discuss your request in greater detail if necessary. All determinations are made on a case-by-case basis.
3. SSD will notify you and Residential Life if your request for a housing accommodation has been approved.