The Industrial and Systems Engineering and Systems Science disciplines play a significant role in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of healthcare systems.
They have helped healthcare facilities improve quality management, scheduling and sequencing in outpatient clinics, and operational control, such as medical records and patient turnaround time in emergency rooms.
The research methodology looks at current work flow, identifies bottlenecks, and finally proposes solutions and recommendations, using modeling, simulation, problem solving, statistical analysis, human factors engineering and data mining.
The focus will be on improving safety, cost, quality, and efficiency of healthcare delivery processes.
This twelve month program is designed to provide individuals with a bachelor’s degree the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills for modeling, analyzing and/or designing healthcare delivery systems and processes.
Benefits of the program:
- Saturday-only classes and a one-year program
- Increased competitive advantage for leadership roles in transforming healthcare delivery systems
- Ability to identify and solve efficiency problems in healthcare systems using systems engineering techniques, data analytics, and process improvement
- Connection with experienced faculty and professionals with proven track records in the field
If you would like to learn more about the program and/or have your eligibility for participation evaluated, complete the form below and you will soon be contacted.
Be prepared to share:
- a personal statement including your interests
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (GRE requirements may be made in limited cases)
If you decide to formally apply to the program, two letters of recommendation will also be needed at the time of application.
Request More Info.
Admission to the program occurs on a rolling basis.
Based on the student's educational background and interests, the Systems Science and Industrial Engineering (SSIE) Department will determine if the degree program will be a Master of Science in Systems Science or a Master of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering, both with Health Systems concentrations.
Master of Science in Systems Science — Executive Health Systems Concentration: Candidates with a bachelor's degree in any field may apply for admission to this program.
Master of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering — Executive Health Systems Concentration: Candidates with a bachelor's degree in industrial and systems engineering or a related field may apply for admission to this program.
Classes are scheduled on weekends with hours generally every Saturday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with intermittent days off, at a convenient Midtown Manhattan location. During each class, the student experiences lectures, group activities, projects and open discussions with a great deal of class participation. At the onset of the program, there is a required orientation weekend at Binghamton University's main campus.
The student must maintain at least a B average in all graduate coursework. Plan of study:*
- SSIE 597 - Independent Study
- SSIE 510 - Enterprise Systems Engineering
- SSIE 537 - Ind & Sys Eng in Healthcare
- SSIE 505 - Applied Probability & Statist.
- SSIE 520 - Modeling And Simulation
- SSIE 501 - Intro to Systems Science
- SSIE 561 - Quality Assurance For Engineer
- SSIE 538 - Healthcare Financial Eng
- SSIE 637 - Advanced Topics in Health Syst
- SSIE 595 - Termination Project
- SSIE 598 - Msie Project
Students will take either SSIE-595 or SSIE-598.
*Alternate courses may be applied in select cases with the approval of the program director.
Schedule of Classes**
|SSIE 597||August 7-9, 2020|
|SSIE 510||8/29/20 - 10/17/20 (no classes 9/5, 9/19, 9/26)|
|SSIE 537||10/24/20 - 11/21/20|
|SSIE 505||12/5/20 - 1/9/21 (no classes 12/26)|
|SSIE 561||1/16/21 - 2/13/21|
|SSIE 520||2/20/21 - 3/20/21|
|SSIE 501||3/27/21 - 5/1/21 (no class 4/3)|
|SSIE 538||5/8/21 - 6/12/21 (no class 5/29)|
|SSIE 637||6/19/21 - 7/24/21 (no class 7/3)|
|SSIE 595/598||Project due before graduation|
** Schedule is subject to change