Nature of the Program
The Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching recognizes consistently superior teaching at the graduate, undergraduate, or professional level in keeping with the State University's commitment to providing its students with instruction of the highest quality.
The ratio of FTE students to nominees for the Chancellor's Award for Adjunct Teaching shall be the same as the ratio for the nominees for the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Full-time Teaching. Note: This ratio is currently one nominee per 2,000 FTEs.
The primary criterion is skill in teaching.
Teaching Techniques and Representative Materials
There must be positive evidence that the candidate performs superbly in educational
environments. The nominee must maintain instructional policies that adapt readily
to student needs, interests and problems. Mastery of teaching techniques must be demonstrated
Candidates' evaluations of students' work must be strongly supported by evidence. When available, student evaluations (in the form of student questionnaires administered and compiled by persons other than the nominee) may provide a clear idea of the nominee's effectiveness in teaching.
Additional consideration, as appropriate, may be given to:
- Outstanding support for the intellectual growth of individual students;
- Demonstrated use of relevant contemporary data from their discipline(s) in their teaching. Evidence may be scholarly and/or widely recognized experience in the field;
- Number of students per course; and
- Different teaching techniques employed.
- Nominees must be Adjunct Faculty as generally defined by the specific SUNY institution. Individuals serving in full-time professional or academic positions at a SUNY institution are not eligible for this award;
- Nominees must have taught, over the proceeding five years, a total number of courses equivalent to one-half of a three-year full-time teaching load in the appropriate department;
- Nominees may also serve in adjunct roles at other educational institutions; and
- Nominees must be employed by the nominating campus at the time of the nomination.
Use this nomination checklist to compile the nomination packet.
Completed nomination dossiers must be submitted electronically by the dean's office of the nominee's school/college to the Center for Learning and Teaching at email@example.com no later than Monday, Oct. 19, 2020.
For More Information
For complete details about the Chancellor's Awards for Excellence in Adjunct Teaching, please visit the following website: http://system.suny.edu/academic-affairs/faculty-staff-awards/excellence-in-adjunct-teaching/.