International Student FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Question: What are Binghamton’s application requirements?


Q: How do I obtain information about a specific program?

A: To receive more detailed information about an academic program via email, fill out a program-information request form

Q: What are Binghamton’s English language requirements for international students?

A: To view English language requirements, see the section “Proof of English Proficiency” on the international student requirements page.  

Q: What financial aid and funding is available for international students?

A:  Binghamton University offers numerous funding options. From loans and fellowships to student employment and travel funding, Binghamton University can help you find the sources you need to enhance your career and make your education attainable. Explore as many avenues as you can.
The graduate admissions committee does not have access to your financial documents and holistically makes admission and funding decisions based on merit alone.

Q: How much does it cost to attend Binghamton?
A: View the cost of attendance for the current year.

Q: Can I apply for more than one degree?
A: Binghamton University offers students in select programs to work toward earning two master’s degrees (dual degrees) at the same time.

  • You can earn two in just three years -- significantly less time than if pursued separately.
  • You pay less in tuition costs than if you were to earn both degrees on their own.

Q: Is there an application fee?

A: Yes, the application fee is $75 (USD) which is non-refundable. 

There are a few circumstances in which the application fee may be waived:

  • Academic departments may periodically offer application fee waivers dependent upon students’ academic eligibility, enrollment needs of the department and other extraordinary situations. Prior to any possible departmental consideration, applicants should begin their application and submit minimally their transcripts, personal statement and resume. After uploading those documents, outreach to program recruiters may be sought.
  •  CSTEP, EOP, HEOP, LSAMP Program, Project 1000, SEEK Program or TRIO Program (McNair Scholars Program, Student Support Services, Upward Bound, etc.) students are eligible. You musts provide a certified letter from your program official attesting to your participation. Documents can be uploaded directly on the application or by emailing 
  • GEM Fellowship applicants are eligible. Submit a copy of your GEM interface homepage indicating that your overall application status is complete. Documents can be uploaded directly on the application or by emailing
  • United States Armed Forces veterans and active-duty service members are eligible for an application fee waiver. Submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) or your Status Report Pursuant to Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (as downloaded from Documents can be uploaded directly on the application or by emailing them to

Note: A request for an application fee waiver may take two to three business days to process. Before submitting your application, wait for an email stating that your request has been approved. If you have any questions about this process, contact us at

Q: What is the application deadline?

A: Most programs review applications on a rolling basis rather than after a set deadline, meaning we continue to make admission decisions until the program is full. Program deadlines may vary, however, most of the programs providing limited sponsorship have January 15 as the deadline for funding consideration. Applications received after this date will be given equal consideration, but support can only be given to the extent funds are available.

Q: How can I find out the status of my application materials?
Check the status of your application online, to see what items were received and what still needs to be submitted.

Expect to receive a weekly reminder email about the materials that you still need to submit before the application deadline.

Admitted students

Q: I have been admitted. What are the next steps?

A: Visit these two websites:

Q: Will there be an orientation for new students?

A: Visit the International Student Scholar Services (ISSS) website for Orientation information.

Q: How do I find out who my advisor is?

A: Graduate students will receive information from their academic departments regarding course registrations. Until then, we encourage to you to explore course offerings.

Q: How do I review courses and course descriptions for my program?

A: Required courses and course descriptions can be found in the Binghamton University Bulletin, your most complete resource for Binghamton University information. 

Q: How will I be billed?

A: Binghamton University has partnered with Flywire to streamline the tuition payment process for our international students. With Flywire, making an international payment is fast, simple and cost-effective. You may pay in your home currency (in most cases) and benefit from excellent foreign exchange rates.

Q: How many credits can I take per semester?

A: Federal regulations require that students in F-1 and J-1 status be registered for a full-time course load each fall and spring semester until graduation. Failure to be registered as a full-time student is a violation of your non-immigrant status, will result in the loss of F-1 or J-1 benefits (including employment eligibility both on and off campus) and may subject you to federal immigration sanctions. New graduate students minimum course load is 12 credits.  After completion of 24 credits a minimum course load drops to 9 credits.

Q: Where can I find information about housing?

A: Off Campus College (OCC) provides a database that contains apartments and rooms for rent, as well as a roommate registry. The housing and roommate search features are available to the Binghamton University community through the use of their University email.

Q: Who do I contact for parking permits or public transportation information?

A: Students can purchase parking permits online. A vehicle must be registered with the University before parking on campus or it must be parked in a paid space. Public transportation is free with your University ID (Binghamton city bus service and though the student-run Off Campus College.

Q: Is health insurance offered?

A: In accordance with federal immigration policy and the State University of New York, appropriate and sufficient health insurance is a mandatory requirement for all international students enrolled at SUNY campuses. Health insurance coverage for accompanying family members is a mandatory requirement for J-2 family members and available to other non-immigrant visa holders as well.

Q: Can I defer my admission?

A: If the graduate program approves an applicant's deferral, the program should submit an admission deferral request to the Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions, who will review the request and either approve or deny it.

If difficulty in obtaining a visa prevents an international applicant from enrolling in the semester specified in the acceptance letter, the applicant should contact the graduate program directly. The graduate program will then advise the Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions of the applicant's status.

Q: How do I obtain an I-20 or DS-2019 form?

A: Applicants to the Graduate School who are citizens of other countries, whether they are enrolled in a school in the United States or abroad, are required to meet academic standards for admission to a degree program, show proficiency in English at the college level and certify that they will have the required amount of money needed for each year of study. When applicants are admitted to Binghamton University, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services issues a Certificate of Eligibility: either Form I-20 (F-1 visa) or Form DS-2019 (J-1 visa).