Must Dos

We promise The Buzz will contain lots of fun stuff, but there are some THINGS YOU JUST HAVE TO DO. Here are some important next steps, requirements and information.

checkmarkActivate your BMail (Binghamton University email account) and 2-Factor Authentication (2FA)

Your BMail ( is where we send all official University information including orientation and housing details, required health forms, semester bills, financial aid and more. View instructions on how to activate >

checkmarkCOVID-19 vaccination info

Binghamton University, following guidance from the State University of New York (SUNY), does not require students to be vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to attend Binghamton or live in on-campus housing.

checkmarkOther required health forms

All incoming students MUST complete the online Meningococcal Vaccine Response Form, the Medical/Health History/Tuberculosis form, an Under 18 Consent Form (if applicable),  request health screening and provide documentation of certain immunizationsIn order to register for fall courses you must complete these health requirements.

checkmarkStudent ID

Your Binghamton student ID is needed for residence hall and room access, meal plan as well as many other student services. Visit this webpage for instructions on how to upload a photo for your student ID. 


Online housing registration will open in mid-April (you need to activate your email account before you can sign up). 

  • First-year students must live on campus. Exceptions are granted for first-year students who are residents of Broome, Tioga or southern Chenango County, are 21 years of age or married. Details about the housing process and applications will be available on the Residential Life website in late March.
  • Transfer students who choose to live on campus typically live in our Apartments Community (Hillside and Susquehanna). Opportunities for transfer students to live in our traditional residence halls are available, but limited.  Details about the housing process and applications will be available on the Residential Life website in late March. 
  • Transfers: For information on available off-campus housing options, visit the Off Campus College Office (OCC). The Binghamton area offers a wide range of housing options and free bus service to campus.

Microwave/refrigerator rentals are available for pre-order. To order, call 1-800-525-7307 or visit

checkmarkOrientation registration

Orientation information opens in mid-May! See your Orientation checklist on for more information.

checkmarkSubmit final transcripts (transfers and first-year students who have taken college courses)

ALL students (first-year students and transfers) are required to mail an official, final high-school transcript, including graduation date, and seal, stamp or signature, or a GED.

  • Request that an official transcript from every college or educational institution you've attended be mailed to the Admissions Office: Binghamton University, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, PO Box 6001, Binghamton, NY 13902-6001.
  • If you were taking coursework at the time you applied to Binghamton, be sure your transcript from that institution is sent electronically or mailed to the Admissions office once the course(s) is completed.
  • Find course-to-course equivalency information and transfer guides here >   

checkmarkHealth insurance requirement: Accept or waive

Domestic Students

All students are automatically enrolled in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan (University health insurance) unless you waive it.

Read more about student health insurance plan benefits.

International students

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas will enroll in the State University of New York plan administered through the University's International Student and Scholar Services office.

checkmarkAccept your financial aid

  • Check your financial aid status: View your financial aid offer and accept/decline loans to ensure your fall 2023 financial aid is complete, and your aid will credit your fall 2023 bill.

More general financial aid information at Financial Aid Services

checkmarkPay your bill

The fall 2023 E-Bill notification will be sent to your BMail in early August with a due date in September. For more details regarding payment and due dates, visit Student Accounts.

checkmarkAdvanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit 

  • AP credit -- To receive proper credit for any AP courses taken, contact the College Board to confirm your scores will be sent electronically to the Admissions Office. Test scores of 3, 4, or 5 may receive credit based on the policy established by the State University of New York. Learn more about Binghamton's AP credit guidelines
  • IB credit -- Credit is awarded only for Higher Level IB exams, with scores of 4 or 5 receiving 4 credits, and scores of 6 or 7 receiving 8 credits. IB scores are submitted to Binghamton University through the International Baccalaureate website. Find out more about IB credit guidelines

checkmarkExcelsior Scholarship (New York state residents only)

Sign up to receive a notification when the application for the Excelsior Scholarship  -- which allows eligible students to attend New York state schools tuition-free -- becomes available!

Details and application are managed by the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). For more information, including the Excelsior Scholarship Fact Sheet and FAQs for completing the application, visit the HESC website.

checkmarkSign up for direct deposit for refunds (student access only, not authorized payers)

Refund checks are printed ONLY once a week. Signing up for direct deposit allows you to have refunds automatically deposited into your bank account.

Step-by-step instructions on how to sign up for direct deposit.

checkmarkBinghamton University Dining Services (BUDS)

Binghamton University meal plans provide the ultimate in convenience and flexibility. With your meal plan, you have the freedom to dine anywhere on campus, anytime you want.

All students living on campus are required by the University to purchase a Resident Dining meal plan. Students living in residence halls are automatically enrolled in Meal Plan C,  although there are other meal plans available.

Watch this video to learn more about the Binghamton University dining experience.


First-year resident students are not permitted to register or park a vehicle on campus.

Transfer and local students: Learn more about on-campus parking regulations, including how to purchase a parking permit.

checkmarkReview/verify your contact information

  • Log into BU BRAIN Self Service, "Information" tab
  • Verify your contact information (address and emergency contacts)
  • Make sure we have your Social Security Number on file (required for tax and financial aid information)

checkmarkEmergency alert contact information (B-Alert/RAVE) 

Binghamton uses an alert system (B-Alert) that sends text messages to cell phones.

Additional information about B-alert can be found online. 

checkmarkStudents with disabilities

Students who require disability-related services or accommodations MUST contact Services for Students with Disabilities as soon as possible so we can make any necessary arrangements. If you've had accommodations in the past, make sure you note that when you register for Orientation.