The Department of Computer Science emphasizes experimental research to design and engineer a wide variety of computer and information systems.
Our projects and contributions include:
- Application-level research in graphics
- Bioinformatics and multimedia
- Cloud computing
- Computer-aided design
- Computer architecture
- Computer architecture and VLSI
- Data mining, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Embedded systems and IoT
- Embedded systems and sensors
- Graphics, image processing, computer vision
- Grid computing
- Human-computer interaction
- Image recognition
- Information systems
- Internet-scale information retrieval
- Mobile and wireless computing
- Network protocols and middleware
- Operating systems, networking and distributed systems
This wide range of interests promotes effective and exciting collaborative. The department's
research funding continues to grow includes Federal Agencies (NSF, AFOSR, NIH, & DOE)
as well as industry.
We're always looking for bright, energetic students — both graduate and undergraduate — to join our groups and contribute to our research.
Research Groups and Centers
Future InterNet Design Lab (FIND) [Anand Seetharam]
The FIND lab is dedicated to conducting research in the broad area of computer networking. We work on a wide range of topics including Internet-of-Things, information-centric networks, wireless networks, hybrid networks, smart communities and smart grids. We seek a principled approach to solving problems in these fields by developing new theory and algorithms and conducting rigorous experiments.
Computer Architecture and Power-Aware Systems Research Group [Kanad Ghose and Dmitry Ponomarev]
The Computer Architecture and Power-Aware Systems Research Group investigates techniques at the microarchitectural, systems and circuits levels for improving the performance, energy-efficiency and reliability of modern microprocessors and memory systems.
Computer Systems Research Group [Kanad Ghose]
The Computer Systems Research Group is engaged in experimental systems research in the areas of networking, network processors, real-time network security, real-time embedded systems, operating systems and large-scale visualization. The research involves the design and implementation of actual prototype systems that work as opposed to investigations that just use simulations and models. Networking protocols and real-time file systems developed by this group are being commercialized.
Real-Time Systems Laboratory [KD Kang]
The Real-Time Systems Laboratory investigates key real-time computing issues, such as real-time data management, cyber physical systems, and Internet of Things, which are becoming increasingly important in everyday life. More specifically, effective scheduling, resource management, energy efficiency, wireless sensing and control, IoT applications, and security/privacy issues are investigated.
VLSI Computer Aided Design Research Group [Patrick Madden]
The VLSI CAD group focuses on the physical design of high performance integrated circuits. The group is best known for the development of the fractional cut-based feng shui mixed-size placement tool and the associated legalization and detailed placement methods. Other innovations from the group include non-Manhattan routing architectures, fast topology based interconnect analysis methods and an effective approach to voltage island design.
Operating Systems, Networking, and Distributed Systems
Cloud and Big Data Research [Ken Chiu, Madhu Govindaraju and Mike Lewis]
The group's focus is on several different areas of research in software infrastructure for Cloud and Big Data computing. This group is undertaking projects to develop, adapt and optimize several open source technologies for use in real-world use case scenarios.
Operating Systems and Networks Lab (OSNET) [Kartik Gopalan]
The OSNET lab's research is focused on building and evaluating real-world high-performance systems software. Projects span various aspects of operating systems, distributed systems and wireless as well as wired networks. Current research projects include distributed cluster resource virtualization, modeling channel characteristics for wireless mesh and ad hoc networks and multi-resource scheduling for real-time systems.
Machine Learning Research Group (MLRG) [Arti Ramesh]
Our group works broadly on designing machine learning models for complex, relational, unstructured, and heterogeneous data. We focus both on designing novel algorithms for such complex interconnected data and applications of these algorithms on real-world data. Specifically, our group works on statistical relational learning, deep learning, probabilistic graphical, and latent variable models. We demonstrate the utility of these models on applications including smart energy, computational social science, education, social media, and urban computing data.
Data Mining Research Laboratory [Lei Yu]
The Data Mining Research Laboratory focuses on scalable data analysis techniques for mining large and complex data from emerging real-world domains with application in bioinformatics and computer security. Recent research topics include high-dimensional data preprocessing, streaming data mining, gene expression analysis, genetic regulatory networks, protein structure prediction and glioma migration study.
Database and Information Retrieval Laboratory [Weiyi Meng]
The mission of this laboratory is to conduct world-class research in the general area of database and information retrieval systems. In recent years, this lab's research has been focused mainly on Web-based search technology. In particular, conducting research on scalable meta-searching technology for providing unified access to the many information sources on the Web.
Graphics, Image Processing and Vision
Graphics and Image Computing (GAIC) Laboratory [Lijun Yin]
The GAIC laboratory features research projects in areas of computer graphics, computer vision and image processing. Recent topics include face analysis, motion tracking, modeling and animation, biometrics computing, view-dependent rendering, 3D range data analysis and medical imaging. The GAIC is also interested in areas of human affects computing and expression analysis.
Multimedia Research Laboratory [Mark Zhang]
The Multimedia Research Laboratory conducts research projects across a broad range of areas including computer vision and image understanding, multimedia and data mining, and knowledge discovery. The laboratory's research has been substantially recognized in both intellectual merits and broader impacts.
Architecture for Security Lab [Dmitry Ponomarev]
Security and Verification Research Lab (SVRL) LINK: http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~pyang/seclab.html [Ping Yang]
SVRL conducts cutting edge research in the areas of computer security and privacy. Recent projects in SVRL have focused on cloud security, virtual machine security, access control, and web security.
Secure Systems and Software (S3) Group LINK: http://security.cs.binghamton.edu/ [Ghose, Gopalan, Kang, Ponomarev, Yan, Yang
The S3 Group conducts research in information and computer systems security, with focus on developing applied technologies for secure and trustworthy real-world systems. Members of our group have ongoing research projects in the areas of operating system and virtual machine security, wireless and data center network security, security policies and policy analysis, remote authentication of code execution, secure chip architecture, provenance security, and privacy.
- Real-Time Embedded Systems Laboratory
- Networking and Parallel Processing Lab
- Multimedia research lab
- Database and Information Retrieval Laboratory
- BLAC CAD
- Machine Learning Research Group (MLRG)
- Future InterNet Design Lab (FIND)
- Haris Ribic and Yu David Liu, “AEQUITAS: Coordinated Energy Management Across Parallel Applications,” In Proceedings of the International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS), June 2016.
- Mehmet Kayaalp, Nael Abu-Ghazaleh, Dmitry Ponomarev, Aamer Jaleel, "A High-Resolution Side-Channel Attack on Last Level Cache”, 53rd Design Automation Conference (DAC), Austin, TX, June 2016. Best Paper Nominee
- F. Chai, T. Zhu, K. D. Kang, A Link-Correlation-Aware Cross-Layer Protocol for IoT Devices, IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '16), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 23 - 27, 2016.
- Chenyang Lu, Abusayeed Saifullah, Bo Li, Mo Sha, Humberto Gonzalez, Dolvara Gunatilaka, Chengjie Wu, Lanshun Nie, and Yixin Chen. “Real-Time Wireless Sensor-Actuator Networks for Industrial Cyber-Physical Systems.” Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Industrial Cyber Physical Systems, Vol. 104, Issue 5, pp. 1013-1024, May 2016.
- Qian Feng, Aravind Prakash, Minghua Wang, Curtis Carmony and Heng Yin. “ORIGEN: Automatic Extraction of Offset-Revealing Instructions for Cross-Version Memory Analysis”. In Proceedings of the 11th ACM Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security (AsiaCCS’16), Xi’an, China, May 2016.
- U. Deshpande, D. Chan, T-Y. Guh, J. Edouard, K. Gopalan, N. Bila, “Agile Live Migration of Virtual Machines”, In International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (IPDPS), May 2016. (Acceptance Rate: 23%).
- Chen Wang, Xiaonan Guo, Yan Wang, Yingying Chen, Bo Liu. “Friend or Foe? Your Wearable Devices Reveal Your Personal PIN.” The 11th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS), May 2016.
- Chunhua Shen, Xi Li, Anthony R. Dick, Zhongfei Zhang, Yueting Zhang, “Online Metric-Weighted Linear Representations for Robust Visual Tracking”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Computer Society Press, Volume 38, Number 5, Pages 931 - 950, May 2016.
- Nemati, K., Alissa, H.A., Puvvadi, U., Murray, B. T., Sammakia, B., Ghose, K., “Experimental characterization of a Rear Door Heat exchanger with localized containment,” Proc. 15th IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITherm), May 2016, pp.710-719.
- Alissa, H. A., Nemati, K., U Puvvadi, U., Sammakia, B. G., Ghose, K., Seymour, M. J., Tipton, R., Ken Schneebeli, K., “Empirical analysis of blower cooling failure in containment: Effects on IT performance,” Proc. 15th IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITherm), May 2016, pp. 1426-1434.
- Wensheng Wu, Weiyi Meng, Weifeng Su, Quangyou Zhou, Yao-Yi Chiang. “Q2P: Discovering Query Templates via Autocompletion.” ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), 10(2):10, May 2016.
- Xian Li, Weiyi Meng, Clement Yu. “Verification of Fact Statements with Multiple Truthful Alternatives.” 12th International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies (WEBIST), Rome, Italy, April 2016.
- Shuangfei Zhai, Keng-Hao Chang, Ruofei (Bruce) Zhang, and Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang, “Attention Based Recurrent Neural Networks for Online Advertising”, Proc. ACM International Conference on WWW, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, April, 2016, (25% acceptance rate).
- Cagdas Karatas, Luyang Liu, Hongyu Li, Jian Liu, Yan Wang, Sheng Tan, Jie Yang, Yingying Chen, Marco Gruteser, Richard Martin. “Leveraging Wearables for Steering and Driver Tracking.” IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), April 2016.
- Chengjie Wu, Dolvara Gunatilaka, Abusayeed Saifullah, Mo Sha, Paras Babu Tiwari, Chenyang Lu, Yixin Chen. “Maximizing Network Lifetime of WirelessHART Networks under Graph Routing.” IEEE International Conference on Internet-of-Things Design and Implementation (IoTDI'16), April 2016 (acceptance ratio: 20.8%).
- Jeff Bush, Khaled Z. Mahmoud, Mohammad A. Khasawneh, Timothy N. Miller, “NyuziRaster: Optimizing Rasterizer Performance and Energy in the Nyuzi Open Source GPU,” International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (ISPASS), April 2016, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Dan Williams, Yaohui Hu, Umesh Deshpande, Nilton Bila, Kartik Gopalan, Hani Jamjoom, "Enabling Efficient Hypervisor-as-a-Service Clouds with Ephemeral Virtualization", In International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE), April 2016.
- Yao Liu, Mengbai Xiao, Ming Zhang, Xin Li, Mian Dong, Zhan Ma, Zhenhua Li, Songqing Chen. “GoCAD: GPU-Assisted Online Content Adaptive Display Power Saving for Mobile Devices in Internet Streaming”, The 25th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), April 2016. (Acceptance rate: 16%)
- Dmitry Evtyushkin, Dmitry Ponomarev, Nael Abu-Ghazaleh. “Understanding and Mitigating Covert Channels through Branch Predictors.” ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization (ACM TACO), Vol. 13, Issue 1, March 2016.
- Pankaj Saha, Madhusudhan Govindaraju, Suresh Marru, Marlon E. Pierce: Integrating Apache Airavata with Docker, Marathon, and Mesos. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience 28(7): 1952-1959, March 2016.
- P.M. Robson, A.J. Madhuranthakam, M.P. Smith, M.R.M. Sun, W. Dai,"Volumetric Arterial Spin-labeled Perfusion Imaging of the Kidneys with a Three-dimensional Fast Spin Echo Acquisition", Academic radiology 23 (2): 144-154, Feb. 2016
- (Book) J. Nepkie, J. Aini, R. DeCarlo, D. DiRienzo, T. Good, F. Hildebrand, D. Pesta, William Ziegler; Internships and Co-ops: A Guide for Planning, Implementation, and Assessment; State University of New York, May, 2016; http://system.suny.edu/media/suny/content-assets/documents/faculty-senate/Internship-Guide-FINAL-(3.22.16).pdf
- M. Cavallari, W. Dai, C.R.G. Guttmann, D.S. Meier, L.H. Ngo, T.T. Hshieh, "Neural substrates of vulnerability to postsurgical delirium as revealed by presurgical diffusion MRI", Brain, Feb, 2016.
- Yingming Li, Ming Yang, and Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang, “Learning with Marginalized Corrupted Features and Labels Together”, Proc. AAAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Phoenix, AZ, USA, February, 2016, (26% acceptance rate).
- Shuangfei Zhai and Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang, “Semi-supervised Auto encoder for Sentiment Analysis”, Proc. AAAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Phoenix, AZ, USA, February, 2016, (26% acceptance rate).
- Elif Dede, Bedri Sendir, Pinar Kuzlu, John Richard Weachock, Madhusudhan Govindaraju, Lavanya Ramakrishnan, “Processing Cassandra Datasets with Hadoop-Streaming Based Approaches”, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC) 9(1):46-58, 2016.
- Z. Zhang, J. Girard, Y. Wu, X. Zhang, P. Liu, U. Ciftci, S. Canavan, M. Reale, A. Horowitz, H. Yang, J. Cohn, Q. Ji, and L. Yin, Multimodal Spontaneous Emotion Corpus for Human Behavior Analysis, IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2016 (acceptance rate 25%)
- S. Tulyakov, X. Alameda-Pineda, E. Ricci, L. Yin, N. Sebe, and J. Cohn, Self-Adaptive Matrix Completion for Heart Rate Estimation from Face Videos under Realistic Conditions, IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) 2016 (acceptance rate 4% for oral)
- Y. Zhou, K. D. Kang, "Deadline Assignment and Feedback Control for Differentiated Real-Time Data Services", IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Volume 27, Issue 12, pages 3245-3257, December, 2015.
- Abusayeed Saifullah, Dolvara Gunatilaka, Paras Tiwari, Mo Sha, Chenyang Lu, Bo Li, Chengjie Wu, and Yixin Chen. “Schedulability Analysis under Graph Routing in WirelessHART Networks.” IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS'15), December 2015 (acceptance ratio: 22.5%)
- Aravind Prakash and Heng Yin. “Defeating ROP Through Denial of Stack Pivot.” Proceedings of Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC’15), Los Angeles, CA, December 2015.
- Jesse Elwell, Ryan Riley, Nael Abu-Ghazaleh, Dmitry Ponomarev, Iliano Cervesato. “Rethinking Memory Permissions for Protection Against Cross-Layer Attacks.” ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization (ACM TACO), Volume 12, Issue 4, Article No.56, December 2015.
- U. L. N. Puvvadi, K. Di Benedetto, A. Patil, K. D. Kang, Y. Park, "Cost-Effective Security Support in Real-Time Video Surveillance", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Volume 11, Issue 6, pages 1457 - 1465, December, 2015.
- Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, Tam Vu, Abusayeed Saifulla, Mo Sha. “An Internet of Things Framework for Smart Energy in Buildings: Designs, Prototype, and Experiments.” IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 2, Issue 6, pp. 527-537, December 2015.
- Jessica Hartog, Renan Delvalle, Madhusudhan Govindaraju, Michael J. Lewis: Performance Analysis of Adapting a MapReduce Framework to Dynamically Accommodate Heterogeneity. Transactions on Large-Scale Data- and Knowledge-Centered Systems (TLSDKCS) 20:108-130 Dec. 2015.
- Alissa, H.A., Nemati, K., Sammakia, B. G., Ghose, K., Seymour, M., King, D. and Tipton, R., “Ranking and Optimization of CAC and HAC Leakage Using Pressure Controlled Models,” Proc. ASME 2015 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE), Nov. 2015.
- Yi Xu, Yilin Zhu, Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang, Yaqing Zhang, Philip S. Yu, “Convex Approximation to the Integral Mixture Models Using Step Functions”, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Atlantic City, NJ, USA, November, 2015, (8.4% acceptance rate).
- Khaled Khasawneh, Meltem Ozsoy, Caleb Donovick, Nael Abu-Ghazaleh and Dmitry Ponomarev. “Ensemble Learning for Low-level Hardware-Supported Malware Detection.” 18th International Symposium on Research in Attacks, Intrusions and Defenses (RAID), Kyoto, Japan, November 2015, pp.3-25.
- W. Dai, G. Varma, R Scheidegger, D.C. Alsop. "Quantifying fluctuations of resting state networks using arterial spin labeling perfusion MRI", Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism 36(3):463-473, Nov. 2015.
- G. Chen, K. D. Kang, "Win-Fit: Efficient Intersection Management via Dynamic Vehicle Batching and Scheduling," IEEE International Conference on Connected Vehicles and Expo (ICCVE '15), Shenzhen, China, October 19 - 23, 2015.
- Yi Xu, Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang, Yaqing Zhang, Philip S. Yu, “Sensor Network Partitioning based on Homogeneity”, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Analytical Analysis, Paris, France, October, 2015, (22% acceptance rate).
- Xueyi Zhao, Xi Li, Zhongfei Zhang, “Joint Structural Learning to Rank with Deep Linear Feature Learning”, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Volume 27, Number 10, Pages 2756 - 2769, Oct 2015.
- Jing Wang, Clement Yu, Philip Yu, Bing Liu, and Weiyi Meng. “Diversionary Comments under Blog Posts.” ACM Transactions on the Web (TWEB), 9(4):18, October 2015.
- Liang Zhu, Qin Ma, Weiyi Meng, Mingqian Yang, and Fang Yuan. “An Experimental Evaluation of Aggregation Algorithms for Processing Top-K Queries.” 15th IEEE International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT-2015), pp.326-333, Liverpool, England, UK, October 2015.
- Zhenhua Li, Christo Wilson, Tianyin Xu, Yao Liu, Zhen Lu, and Yinlong Wang. “Offline Downloading in China: A Comparative Study”, The 15th ACM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Oct. 2015.
- Shaun Canavan, Peng Liu, Xing Zhang, and Lijun Yin. “Landmark Localization on 3D/4D Range Data Using a Shape Index-Based Statistical Shape Model with Global and Local Constraints.” Computer Vision and Image Understanding (Special issue on Shape Representations Meet Visual Recognition), Vol. 139, Oct. 2015. P136-148.
- Ed Novak, Yutao Tang, Zijiang Hao, Qun Li, Yifan Zhang, "Physical Media Covert Channels on Smart Mobile Devices", ACM Ubicomp 2015, Osaka, Japan, Sep. 7-11, 2015.
- Alkharabsheh, S., Fernandes, J., Gebrehiwot, B., Agonafer, D., Ghose, K., Ortega, A., Joshi, Y., Sammakia, B., “Brief Overview of Recent Developments in Thermal Management in Data Centers,” ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 137, No. 4, Sept. 2015.
- Xueyi Zhao, Xi Li, and Zhongfei Zhang, “Multimedia Retrieval via Deep Learning to Rank”, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Quebec City, Canada, September, 2015.
- Zhouzhou He, Zhongfei Zhang, Chunming Chen, and Zhenggang Wang, “E-Commerce Business Model Mining and Prediction,” Frontiers of Information Technology and Electronic Engineering, Springer, Volume 16, Number 9, Pages 707-719, Sept 2015.
- S. Canavan, L. Yin, P. Liu, and X. Zhang, “Feature Detection and Tracking on Geometric Mesh Data Using a Combined Global and Local Shape Model for Face and Facial Expression Analysis.” International Conference of Biometrics, Theory, Applications and Systems, (BTAS’15), Sept., 2015.
- Qingyuan Liu, Eduard Dragut, Arjun Mukherjee, and Weiyi Meng. “FLORIN - A System to Support (Near) Real-Time Applications on User Generated Content for Daily News.” International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Demo Paper, pp.1944-1947, Hawaii, September 2015.
- Zhong Ji, Yunlong Yu, Yanwei Pang, Yingming Li, Zhongfei Zhang, “Marginal Fisher Regression Classification for Face Recognition”, Proc. Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia, Gwangju, Korea, September, 2015.
- Umesh Deshpande, Danny Chan, Steven Chan, Kartik Gopalan, Nilton Bila, "Scatter-Gather Live Migration of Virtual Machines", In IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, September 2015, DOI: 10.1109/TCC.2015.2481424 http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7274710/
- Jian Li, Zhenhua Li, Yao Liu, Zhi-Li Zhang. “Twin Clouds Make Smoothness for Transoceanic Video Telephony”, The 44th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), Sept. 2015.
- X. Zhang, Z. Zhang, D. Hipp, L. Yin, and P. Gerhardstein, “Perception Driven 3D Facial Expression Analysis Based on Reverse Correlation and Normal Component”, AAAC 6th International Conference on Affective Computing and intelligent Interaction (ACII 2015) (Association for the Advancement of Affective Computing), Sept. 2015.
- Xin Zhang and Yongshu Bai, Yifan Zhang, "Uses of Hardware Virtualization for Secure and Trusted Computing: A Review", Smart Computing Review, vol.5, no.4, August 2015.
- X. Zhang, U. Ciftci, and L. Yin. “Mouth Gesture based Emotion Awareness and Interaction in Virtual Reality.” ACM SIGGRAPH, August 2015.
- Hongxu Zhang, Yufeng Wang, Chiu C. Tan, Yifan Zhang. "mQual: A Mobile Peer-to-Peer Network Framework Supporting Quality of Service", IEEE ICDCS 2015, poster session, June 29 - July 2, 2015.
- Siliang Tang, Fei Wu, Si Li, and Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang, “Sketch the Storyline with CHARCOAL: a Non-parametric Approach”, Proc. International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Buenos Aires, Argentina, July, 2015, (28.8% acceptance rate).
- Mengbai Xiao, Yao Liu, Lei Guo, Songqing Chen. “Reducing Display Power Consumption for Real-time Video Calls on Mobile Devices”, 2015 International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design (ISLPED), July 2015.
- Garcia, A., Mattison, E., & Ghose, K. “High-speed vision-based autonomous indoor navigation of a quadcopter,” in Proc. Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), 2015. International Conference on (pp. 338-347). IEEE. Publication date: 09/Jun/15
- Tianlin Li, Yaohui Hu, Ping Yang, Kartik Gopalan, "Privacy-preserving Virtual Machines", 31th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC), Dec. 2015, Los Angeles, CA.
- Dmitry Evtyushkin, Dmitry Ponomarev and Nael Abu-Ghazaleh. “Covert Channels through Branch Predictors: A Feasibility Study.” 4th Workshop on Hardware and Architecture Support for Security and Privacy (HASP), held in conjunction with ISCA, Portland, OR, June 2015.
- Yaohui Hu, Sanket Panhale, Tianlin Li, Emine Ugur Kaynar, Danny Chan, Umesh Deshpande, Ping Yang, Kartik Gopalan, "Performance Analysis of Encryption in Securing the Live Migration of Virtual Machines", In IEEE Cloud, Jun 2015.
- Stachecki, T.J., & Ghose, K., “Short-term Load Prediction and Energy-Aware Load Balancing for Data Centers Serving Online Requests,” in Proc. Resource-Efficient Cloud Computing Workshop, held in conjunction with Intl. Symposium on Computer Architecture (peer-reviewed, 27% acceptance rate), June 2015.
- Chauhan, A., Sammakia, B., & Ghose, K. (2015, March). “Transient power analysis to estimate the thermal time lag of a microprocessor hot spot,” in Proc. Thermal Measurement, Modeling & Management Symposium (SEMI-THERM), March 2015, pp.75-81.
- Kai Wang, Guoqing Xu, Zhendong Su, Yu David Liu. "GraphQ: Graph Query Processing with Abstraction Refinement," USENIX ATC, 2015.
- Afram, F., & Ghose, K. “Flexcore: A Reconfigurable Processor Supporting Flexible, Dynamic Morphing,” in Proc. IEEE Int’l. Conf. on High-Performance Computing, pp.30-39, doi:10.1109/HiPC.2015.37.
- Yuheng Long, Yu David Liu, Hridesh Rajan, "Intensional Effect Polymorphism," ECOOP, 2015.
- Yin, Lijun (9,311,527): Real Time Eye Tracking for Human Computer Interaction, 4/12/16
- Zhang, Zhongfei (9,280,562): System and Method for Multimedia Ranking and Multi-modal Image Retrieval Using Probabilistic Semantic Models and Expectation-maximization (Em) Learning, 3/8/16
- Zhang, Zhongfei (9,269,051): Knowledge Discovery from Citation Networks, 2/23/16
- Ghose, Kanad (9,230,122): System and Method for Validating Program Execution at Run-time Using Control Flow Signatures, 1/5/16
- Ghose, Kanad (9,223,967): System and Method for Validating Program Execution at Run-time, 12/29/15
- Ghose, Kanad (9,164,566): Smart Cooling and Load Direction System for Server Installations, 10/20/15
- Ghose, Kanad (9,135,063): Apparatus and Method for Efficient Estimation of the Energy Dissipation of Processor Based Systems, 9/15/15
- Yin, Lijun (9,128,530): Real Time Hand Tracking and Pointing for Human Interaction, 10/8/15
- Ghose, Kanad (9,122,873): Continuous Run-time Validation of Program Execution: A Practical Approach, 9/1/15
- Gopalan, Kartik (9,069,782): System and Method for Security and Privacy Aware Virtual Machine Checkpointing, 6/30/15
- Ghose, Kanad (9,063,721): Continuous Run-time Validation of Program Execution: A Practical Approach, 6/23/15
- Yin, Lijun (8,971,572): Hand Pointing Estimation for Human Computer Interaction, 3/3/15
- Gopalan, Kartik (8,935,506): Memx: Virtualization of Cluster-wide Memory, 1/13/15
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,923,630): Enhanced Max Margin Learning on Multi-modal Data Mining in a Multimedia Database, 12/30/14
- Ghose, Kanad (8,904,189): System and Method for Validating Program Execution at Run-time Using Control Flow Signatures, 12/2/14
- Chiu, Kenneth (8,782,514): Parallel XML Parsing Using Meta-dfas, 7/15/14
- Ghose, Kanad (8,782,434): System and Method for Validating Program Execution at Run-time, 7/15/14
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,773,536): Linear System Based, Qualitative Independent Motion Detection from Compressed Mpeg Surveillance Video, 7/8/14
- Chiu, Kenneth (8,739,022): Parallel Approach to XML Parsing, 5/27/14
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,700,547): Spectral Clustering For Multi-type Relational Data, 4/15/14
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,676,805): System and Method for Probabilistic Relational Clustering, 3/18/14
- Ghose, Kanad (8,631,411): Energy Aware Processing Load Distribution System and Method, 1/14/14
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,527,432): Semi-supervised Learning Based On Semiparametric Regularization, 9/3/13
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,499,022): Combining Multiple Clusterings by Soft Correspondence, 7/30/13
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,463,053): Enhanced Max Margin Learning On Multi-modal Data Mining in a Multimedia Database, 6/11/13
- Gopalan, Kartik (8,417,789): Distributed Adaptive Network Memory Engine, 4/9/13
- Ghose, Kanad (8,397,088): Apparatus and Method for Efficient Estimation of the Energy Dissipation of Processor Based Systems, 3/12/13
- Gopalan, Kartik (8,291,034): Centralized Adaptive Network Memory Engine, 10/16/12
- Ghose, Kanad (8,285,999): Authentication of Remotely Executed Program, 10/9/12
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,285,719): System and Method for Probabilistic Relational Clustering, 10/9/12
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,204,842): System and Method for Image Annotation and Multi-modal Image Retrieval Using Probabilistic Semantic Models Comprising at Least One Joint Probability Distribution, 6/19/12
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,195,734): Combining Multiple Clusterings by Soft Correspondence, 6/5/12
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,185,481): Spectral Clustering for Multi-type Relational Data, 5/22/12
- Zhang, Zhongfei (8,164,629): Linear System Based, Qualitative Independent Motion Detection From Compressed Mpeg Surveillance Video, 4/24/12
- Ghose, Kanad (8,046,558): Real Time File System with Guaranteed Performance Bounds and Predictablity, 10/25/11
- Gopalan, Kartik (8,046,425): Distributed Adaptive Network Memory Engine, 10/25/11
- Abu-Ghazaleh, Nael (8,041,773): Automatic Clustering for Self-Organizing Grids, 10/18/11
- Zhang, Zhongfei (7,970,168): Hierarchical Static Shadow Detection Method, 6/8/11
- Gopalan, Kartik (7,925,711): Distributed Anemone: Transparent Low-latency Access to Remote Memory on Commodity Clusters, 4/12/11
- Gopalan, Kartik (7,917,599): Distributed Anemone: Transparent Low-latency Access to Remote Memory on Commodity Clusters, 3/29/11
- Ghose, Kanad (7,899,925): System and Method for Fast, Reliable Byte Stream Transport, 3/1/11
- Zhang, Zhongfei (7,826,640): Hierarchical Static Shadow Detection Colo Aerial Images, 11/2/10
- Zhang, Zhongfei (7,814,040): Method and Apparatus for Image Annotation and Multi-modal Image Retrieval, 10/12/10
- Madden, Patrick (7,685,540): Standard Block Design: An Effective Approach for Large Scale Floorplanning, 3/23/10
- Zhang, Zhongfei (7,595,817): Linear System Based, Qualitative Independent Motion Detection from Compressed Mpeg Surveillance Video, 9/29/09
- Ghose, Kanad (7,562,243): System and Method for Reducing Power and Energy Requirements for Microprocessors Through Dynamic Allocation of Datapath Resources, 7/14/09
- Ponomarev, Dmitry (7,219,249): System and Method for Reducing Power Requirements of Microprocessors Through Dynamic Allocation of Datapath Resources, 5/15/07
- PI: Mo Sha. CRII: NeTS: Self-Adaptation in Industrial Wireless Sensor-Actuator Networks, NSF, 5/1/2017-4/30/2019.
- PI: Kenneth Chiu. "High performance and data intensive computing facility," Binghamton University Roadmap, 3/2016, $265,000.
- PI: Kenneth Chiu. "Building Analytical, Synthesis, and Human Network Skills Needed for Macrosystem Science"; NSF subcontract from Cary Institute; 6/15/2015-1/31/2017, $34,500.
- Co-PI: Kenneth. "Using Natural Variation to Map Mitochonrial-Nuclear Interactions in Yeast"; PI: Heather Fiumera (biology), other co-PI is Anthony Fiumera (biology); 6/1/2012-5/31/2017; $725,000.
- PIs: Kanad Ghose and Bahagat Sammakia, co-I: Kartik Gopalan and Bruce Murray. "MRI: Development of a Fully Instrumented Self-Sensing and Self-Regulating Data Center," NSF, 10/1/2010-9/30/2015, $1,341,741.
- PI: Bahgat Sammakia, co-PIs: Kanad Ghose, Bruce Murray. I/UCRC in "Energy-Efficient Electronic Systems," NSF, 9/1/2011-8/31/2016, $590,000.
- PI: Kanad Ghose, co-PIs: Bahgat Sammakia and Al Ortega., NSF I/UCRC Grand Challenge Award: "Assessing the role of DC Power in Data Centers", $1,120,000.
- PI: Kanad Ghose, co-PIs: Ping Yang, Kartik Gopalan, Michael Lewis, Les Lander. "GAANN Research Fellowship in Energy-Aware Computing and Experimental Computer Systems", US Dept. of Education, 8/16/2012-8/15/2015, $431,000.
- PI: Kanad Ghose, co-PI: Bahgat Sammakia. "Effectiveness, Efficiency and Integration Improvements of Warm Water Direct Liquid Cooling Systems," Funded by NYSERDA under the PON 2846 Competition, 9/1/2014-12/2016, $497,000.
- Co-PI: Kanad Ghose, other co-PIs: James Turner, Mark Poliks. "Sensor for Monitoring Human Biometric Parameters – Phase II," Nano-Bio Manufacturing Council (NBMC), 9/1/2015-1/30/2017, $854,300.
- PI: Kartik Gopalan. "CSR: Small: Multi-hypervisor Virtual Machines – Enabling an Ecosystem of Hypervisor-level Services in the Cloud", NSF, 8/2015-7/2018, $399,989.
- PI: Kartik Gopalan, co-PI: Ping Yang. "CSR: Small: Towards High-Performance, Robust, and Secure Live Migration of Virtual Machines", 10/2013-9/2017, $484,259.
- PI: Kartik Gopalan, co-PI: Ping Yang. "CSR: Small: Towards High-Performance, Robust, and Secure Live Migration of Virtual Machines." NSF REU Supplement, $16,000.
- PI: Kartik Gopalan, co-PI Ping Yang. "System Virtualization and its Applications to Security and Privacy of Cloud-based Systems", AFRL – Griffis Institute, 8/2015-3/2016, $5,634.
- PI: Madhusudhan Govindaraju. "CAPI on Power system to provide high performance solution for the attached devices", 2015 IBM Faculty Award, $20,000.
- PI: Kyoung-Don Kang. "Timely Power-Aware Data Management in Embedded System". NSF, 8/2015-8/2018, $450,000.
- PI: David Liu. "SHF: Small: Green Parallel Language Systems." NSF, $484,547.
- PI: David Liu. "II: New: Collaborative Research: An Extensible Software Infrastructure for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles." NSF, $41,075.
- Co-PI: Patrick Madden. "Interactive Software to be paired with Film", Binghamton University/SUNY. $5000.
- PI (BU): Weiyi Meng. "BIGDATA: Streaming Architecture for Continuous Entity Linking in Social Media". NSF, 1/1/2016-12/31/2018, $300,000 (BU portion), (joint grant with Eduard Dragut and Yuhong Guo of Temple University).
- PI (BU): Weiyi Meng. "Text Mining Pipeline to Accelerate Systematic Reviews in Evidence-Based Medicine". NIH (Subcontract from University of Illinois at Chicago), 09/30/2010-09/29/2015, $276,799 (BU portion).
- PI: Timothy Miller. "CAREER: Sustaining Moore’s Law Through Introspective Computing: A Comprehensive System For Reliability and Energy Optimization in Modern Computing Devices", NSF, 2/1/2014-1/31/2019, $450,000.
- PI: Dmitry Ponomarev. "Side-channels Through Last-Level Caches: Attacks, Defenses and Security Metrics", NSF, 9/1/2014-8/31/2017, $250,000 (BU portion).
- PI: Dmitry Ponomarev. "Parallel Discrete Event Simulation on Emerging High-performance Multicore Clusters", Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), 10/1/2015-9/30/2018, $300,000 (BU portion), (joint project with University of California Riverside).
- PI: Dmitry Ponomarev. "VirtuallySafe: A Framework for Hypervisor Code and Data Integrity", Qatar National Research Fund (sub-award from Qatar University), 9/1/2012-8/31/2016, $375,000 (BU portion).
- PI: Guanhua Yan. "Testing Software Security Exploitability Using the Bayesian Approach." AFRL. $20,000.
- PI: Lijun Yin. "CI-ADDO-EN: Collaborative Research: 3D Dynamic Multimodal Spontaneous Emotion Corpus for Automated Facial Behavior and Emotion Analysis", NSF, 2012-2016, $416,801. (joint project with Jeff Cohn of U of Pittsburgh)
- PI: Lijun Yin. "Health Network: SUNY Network Partnership for Automated Pain Assessment and Pain Management Research". SUNY Health Network of Excellence, 2015-2016, $150,000 plus cost share $72,915.
- PI: Lei Yu." Learning Control Centers - Making Smart Energy Controls Smarter", NEXUS-NY, 01/18/2016-04/30/2016, $10,000.
- PI: Lei Yu. "Learning Reinforcement Learning Problem Formulation for Robust Autonomy", Air Force Research Laboratory, 09/01/2015-12/31/2015, $16,000.
- PI: Yifan Zhang. "CRII: CSR NeTS: Enabling Secure and Trusted Device I/Os on Smartphones", NSF, 5/1/2016-4/30/2018, $175,000.
- PI: Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang. "Data Intensive Computing for General Relational Data Learning", NSF, 9/1/2010-8/31/2015, $250,000.
- Co-PI: Zhongfei (Mark) Zhang. "A Statistical Machine Learning Approach to Smart Grid Load Forecast based on Massive Datasets". Binghamton University/SUNY. $20,000
- PI: William Ziegler. "Geothermal Airport Pavement Heating and Terminal Cooling", Federal Aviation Administration and NYSERDA, $1.6 million.