In an attempt to provide additional options for student support, Binghamton University is offering students a way to maintain progress in psychotherapy or other provider services while away from home. Student living situations seldom provide a calm and private environment needed to communicate with providers from a distance. The Decker Student Health Services Center (DSHSC) at Binghamton University is pleased to offer students a quiet and confidential place to participate in Skype sessions with their home provider.
In order to get on the schedule to use this service, please follow these steps:
- Please make sure that your home therapist/provider is willing to schedule Skype sessions with you. Participation is voluntary on the provider’s part. Any financial cost incurred is the responsibility of the student. Also, students will have to bring their own laptop computer to use for the Skype session.
- Next, call the DSHSC at 607-777-3711 to make an appointment for your Skype session. If your appointment is one that occurs regularly (every other Monday at 3:00, for example), please let the staff know that so that the days and times that you need can be reserved.
- Bring your laptop computer or other device with you to the DSHSC.
- Arrive at the DSHSC 15 minutes prior to your appointment and sign in on one of the computers in the reception area. Once you are signed in for your appointment, take the elevator to the lower level and be seated in the waiting area to the right of the elevator. A staff person will escort you back to the Skype room for your session.
- Should your session be canceled or you need to cancel your session, please notify the DSHSC as soon as possible. This will allow other students the opportunity to reserve the space.
- Students who “no-show” for the reserved time will be contacted by DSHSC staff.
Binghamton University is not responsible for nor ensuring of the quality of the therapy received, and is purely providing a confidential space for the interaction to occur. Should the arrangement not benefit the student as hoped, students are reminded of campus resources through the DSHSC and the University Counseling Center. Community referrals are also available. Please contact the staff for further information.