Tele-medicine is the process of providing healthcare from a distance using technology, often through video conferencing. Tele-Counseling is a modern way to receive therapy through a secured platform to facilitate video sessions, ongoing direct messaging therapy or a combination of both. Tele-Counseling and Tele-Psychiatry involve direct interaction between a counselor or psychiatrist and the client.
Research has shown that the satisfaction for tele-counseling and tele-psychiatry is high among clients and counselors. There are benefits to many clients who use tele-services, as described just below. Additionally, there is evidence that there are people that favor telemedicine to in-person care, for example, individuals with autism or severe anxiety disorders may prefer remote treatment.
Video-based telepsychiatry helps meet patients’ needs for convenient, affordable and readily-accessible mental health services. It can benefit patients in a number of ways, such as:
- Improve access to mental health specialty care that might not otherwise be available (e.g., in rural areas)
- Reduce the barrier of stigma
- Bring care to the patient’s location
- Reduce delays in care
- Improve continuity of care and follow-up
- Reduce potential transportation barriers, such as lack of transportation or the need for long commutes
International and domestic students with UnitedHealthcare insurance have unlimited access to both tele-health and tele-counseling services