Search Target


Harpur Academic Advising Forms and Petitions

Welcome to the Harpur Academic Advising forms and petitions page.  This page allows you to easily access and complete important advising forms. Please read all instructions in their entirety before submitting the forms.  If you have any questions, please call the office at (607) 777-6305.


University-Wide Late Add and Late Course Withdraw Form: (Submit on the BU Brain)

Student Petition Request for Late Add or Late Course Withdrawal
Students who wish to add a course to their record after the add deadline or withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline, must complete the Late Course Add/Drop/Withdrawal Petition. The petition can be found on the BU Brain under the "Student" tab.  Please review the petition instructions page for complete instructions.

Late Course Withdrawal Petition Information 
Additional information about Harpur College's late course withdrawal petition can be found in this document.

Overload Request Form: (Submit Online)

Overload Request Policy and Petition

Note: The Overload Request Form is for Harpur College undergraduate students requesting to enroll in additional credits beyond the semester 18 credit-hour limit. Overload requests can be submitted at the beginning of the Fall and/or Spring semesters. Requests are not accepted during pre-registration. Students may not overload during the winter and summer terms. Professional school students taking Harpur College courses must petition through the professional school's advising offices. Double degree students must petition to overload through their professional school's advising offices.

Overload petition processing begins on the 1st day of each fall and spring semester. Petitions are reviewed in the order in which they are received and students are notified of the disposition of their request by email. Petitions are handled promptly, but because of large numbers of requests, some students may not receive a response until late in the add period.

**NOTE: Double degree students must petition to overload through their professional school's advising offices

General Academic Petition: (Submit to Harpur Academic Advising)

General Academic Petition

This form is for Harpur College Undergraduate students:

  • to request a waiver of the Harpur College residency requirement
  • to request a Harpur writing course substitution (seniors only) *note: At least one C/J must be taken at Binghamton University
  • to request an extension of incomplete beyond the 18-month deadline
  • to request a change in Bulletin year


  • Discuss your General Academic Petition request with your Undergraduate Director or your Instructor (see petition for appropriate contact)
  • Instructor or Undergraduate Directors should send approval emails to Harpur College at
  • Submit the complete General Academic Petition, including any relevant documentation to


  • The outcome of your petition(s) will be sent to you via e-mail within 5 business days of submission.

 Detailed instructions available here


Transfer Credit Forms


Psychology & Integrative Neuroscience students looking to have transfer credits count toward their major should fill out the online transfer petition through the department.

All other majors should use this form for requests involving major or minor requirements. 

Transfer Credit and study abroad Petition

IF YOU ARE A CONTINUING STUDENT: Use this online form to petition for the acceptance and/or application of transfer credits from other institutions.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST SEMESTER AT BINGHAMTON (FRESHMAN OR TRANSFER): Use this online form to petition for the acceptance and/or application of transfer credits previously taken at other institutions.

*Note: If you are a first semester student and you want to petition for the acceptance and/or application of FUTURE transfer credit from another institution, please use the form above for continuing students.


  1. You must be a Harpur College student or pursuing a Harpur College minor. Professional school students taking Harpur College courses must petition through the professional school's advising offices.
  2. Review the General Education and Writing Transfer Guide for Harpur College Students to see what types of courses may be approved for General Education or Writing credit.
  3. Check the Binghamton University's Course to Course Equivalency site to see if the course appears. 
  4. Please complete all relevant sections of the petition. Incomplete petitions will not be reviewed.
  5. Please complete one petition for EACH course you wish to take.

You will receive an email indicating the result of your petition within 5 business days of submission.

Students who wish to participate in internships or study abroad programs and who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that they will be asked about their prior criminal history. This may impede your ability to participate. Students who have concerns about such matters, or are looking for additional information, are advised to contact the dean's office of their intended academic program. For questions about how this may affect studying abroad, please contact the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives.

Where are my transfer credits? 

Please allow 4 weeks from the time you request a transcript from the other institution for the transcript to be received by Binghamton University. If your transfer credit is not appearing on your record after 4 weeks, you may use this online form to inquire about the status of your credit.

  • You must be a currently enrolled Harpur College student to use this form


Degree Audit Forms

Harpur College Degree Audit Help Desk Form

The Harpur College Degree Audit Help Desk allows you to quickly and easily submit your degree audit question to the Harpur College Degree Audit Coordinator.  Students requesting assistance for the following should complete this form:

  • You repeated a course to fulfill a major or minor requirement. The grade for the repeated course needs to appear on the BU Brain.
  • Major/minor course overlap: You completed a course that counts towards your major and Harpur College minor. The final grade needs to appear on the BU Brain.

Please note: students who entered Binghamton University fall 2013 and later use DegreeWorks as their degree audit program. Students who entered Binghamton University before fall 2013 use DARS as their degree audit program. 

Please make sure to complete all of the required fields and use the menu options to select the appropriate exception.


Additional Forms & Resources

Please do not include your social security number on any electronic or print correspondence. 

AP Laboratory Science Requirement Form

The Binghamton University General Education Laboratory (L) requirement may be satisfied by an Advanced Placement (AP) score of 3 or better in Biology, Chemistry, or Environmental Science only.  You must have received a passing grade in the corresponding high school course and have documentation of the laboratory activities in order for your request to be considered. 

Please use the form from the General Education website to obtain approval of laboratory activities from a Binghamton University faculty member from the respective department.  Complete Part 1 of the form and then contact the faculty member indicated on the form for more information on the type of documentation required to demonstrate laboratory activities.

Common Application or Transfer Form requests for students Transferring out of Binghamton University

This form is for students who plan on transferring out of Binghamton University and need an Academic Advisor's signature for the Common Application Transfer College Report, Cornell University Report from College Official or similar forms. This form is not for students who plan on transferring credits back to Binghamton University - please see Transfer Credit Petitions listed above. 

Closed-Course Petitioning Procedures by Academic Department 

Use this tool to determine departmental procedures for petitioning into closed courses at the beginning of a semester.  

Letter of Good Standing Release Form

Under the provisions of FERPA, Harpur College Academic Advising cannot discuss your student records with other persons or entities without your expressed consent. Some colleges/universities require letters of good standing from your home institution. In order to provide these letters, you must complete this form to permit us to release your records to the college/university.

Release of Student Information Form (**For Use by Harpur Advising ONLY)

Under the provisions of FERPA, Harpur College Academic Advising cannot discuss your student records with other persons or entities without your expressed consent. This form allows you to give consent to specified persons, for a specified amount of time. Use this form only when requested or necessary.             

Semester/University Withdrawal Form 

Use this form to withdraw from ALL classes for the current semester. Obtain any necessary signatures and submit the completed form to the Office of Financial Aid & Student Records (Admissions Center room 112) no later than the last day of classes.

Last Updated: 8/4/21