Tax Treaty Services

The United States has negotiated tax treaties with many other countries in the world. Individuals who are neither citizens nor permanent residents of the United States may be able to claim exemption from or a reduced rate for withholding on certain types of income.

  • Employee Compensation
  • Scholarship, Fellowship or Grant Payments

Binghamton University will extend tax treaty benefits to those who are eligible under provisions of a tax treaty. The policy will be facilitated using the SUNY payroll system provided through the Office of the State Comptroller (OSC) payroll system. Binghamton University will utilize specialized tax treaty software in making eligibility decisions.

The Human Resources office is the point of contact for all questions. The International Tax Treaty Specialist will be responsible for counseling employees and scholarship recipients regarding potential eligibility for tax treaty benefits.

Tax Treaty Information

Internal Revenue Service Publications

Tax Withholding Forms are available on our Forms page:

Related Links

Frequently Asked Questions

The Tax Treaty Services area of our frequently asked questions page.