Managers and Supervisors

The following are tools to assist department chairs, managers and others with personnel-related responsibilities.

Human Resources provides just-in-time training or consultation for any supervisory or personnel-related questions upon request.  If you are a new supervisor, manager or chair, please review the topics below and contact Human Resources for guidance on specific questions.

While many issues are common for all employees, there are differences in policy and administration depending upon the job classification of the employee.  For example, time and attendance recording is required for all employees, but vary based on the union, job title, part-time or full-time status, etc. For the areas below, we have provided general guidelines and sources of information.  However, for interpretation of policy and applicability to specific employees groups, please consult with Human Resources.

Glossary of Terms

Definitions of commonly used terms and acronyms related to Human Resources within the State of New York.

Positions and HR Payroll Processing Requirements

State employees are hired on budget lines, or positions. They are commonly called "lines."   These positions must be approved before hiring, changing the employee's line number, or changing the amount of full-time percentage, salary, etc. Employee vacancies for hire, or changes to employment, are requested by the department through the Position Request Form.  Details regarding HR payroll processing requirements.

Recruiting and Hiring

Faculty hiring is administered through the Office of the Provost in coordination with the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI) and with administrative support from Human Resources.

Professional staff hiring, including Post Doctoral Assistant/Associates, is coordinated through Human Resources and the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DDEI).  Hiring is decentralized to departments, who conduct the interviews and select the candidate(s).  Professional Recruiting Guidelines give you an overview of the search process along with links to forms, including the Professional Vacancy Worksheet.  Additional resources you might find helpful include the Appointment Types for UUP Professionals as well as a list of various sources to advertise the position

Looking for help in navigating the professional search process? Sign up for search committee assistance. 

Hiring a Foreign National  employee differs significantly from hiring a U.S. citizen, and requires the University to obtain employment authorization in the form of an employment-based visa before the individual can work in the U.S.  

Classified/Support staff hiring requires a specific process pursuant to the New York State Department of Civil Service and is administered locally through Human Resources.  It is critical to follow the union posting and Civil Service canvass process for all stages of recruitment and hiring.  Contact Human Resources staff at (607)777-2193 for classified employment guidelines. 

Graduate/Teaching Assistant hiring is coordinated through the Graduate School and the hiring department with administrative support from Human Resources.

Temporary Positions may be arranged for faculty, professional or classified staff.  The overall approval process is the same; however, some temporary positions do not require a posting.

Student Employees (Federal College Work Study (FCWS) and Student Assistants)

The student assistant and college federal work study payrolls are hourly payrolls.  All payments must be made in accordance with state and federal minimum wage rates.  Our ability to use the fee payment option for the student assistant payroll is limited to one time events and not for recurring activities.  Student Assistants performing recurring activities should be paid on an hourly basis through the submission of bi-weekly time sheets.  If you intend to employ a student assistant on a fee basis, please contact Nicole Gregg at to discuss your specific situation PRIOR to extending any offer of employment or submitting HR Forms.

Honoraria Payments for Guest Speakers.  Consultation should take place with Human Resources far in advance to assure the employment eligibility and specific payroll procedures. 

Extra Service. Additional compensation paid according to strict campus, SUNY and Office of the State Comptroller policies and guidelines. 

Employees Who Also Work at Another State Agency.  If a potential new hire also works at another state agency, you should alert Human Resources of this as soon as possible.  The employee will need to complete a Dual Appointment Approval form, or the form UP-8 (UUP) or UP-6 (M/C) Extra Service form which requires explicit approval from the other state agency.

Independent Contractors.  In some cases, a question may arise as to whether status as either an employee or independent contractor is appropriate.  For general guidelines, refer to the Independent Contractors information from Binghamton University's Purchasing department.

Offer Letter Templates -please contact HR employment staff.

Types of Funding:  Personal Service Regular (PSR), Temporary Service (TS), DIFR, IFR.  See the website for the Binghamton University Budget office.

Onboarding your New Employee

Critical steps once an offer is made and accepted

Employment. The most important service you can provide your new employee is to assure that Human Resources is notified of their hire on a timely basis.  Your department is a necessary first point of contact in the payroll process.  Whenever possible, initial paperwork should be provided to Human Resources well before the hire date so the new employee has a timely and accurate paycheck, ID services, computer access and more.  It's helpful to the new staff member to preview information about their employment and benefits, so please share this link with your new staff member: New Hire Information and Forms. This will give them important information about the kinds of documents needed to confirm their employment eligibility, tax withholding, direct deposit and more. Especially for employees who arrive from out of town, knowing that they need to provide original copies of documents for their I-9 gives them the opportunity to assure a smooth transition onto our payroll.

Benefits. Your new employee will be contacted by the Employee Benefits staff within Human Resources if they meet the criteria for fringe benefits including health insurance options.  All state employees are eligible for retirement system service time and/or membership; this information and other eligibility criteria can be found on the Benefits pages of our web site.

Campus Services. Human Resources enters new hire information in the state-wide Human Resources system, which feeds information to Banner in order to issue the employee ID card.  Parking, computing services, building access, Blackboard and more services are tied to the ID, so it is important for new hire information to reach Human Resources before the hire date.  On a temporary basis, Human Resources is assigning initial campus email addresses to new employees; this process will transition to Information Technology Services later this year.

Performance Programs and Evaluations. Union agreements require classified and UUP professional staff to be evaluated annually and sometimes more often during their first year of employment.  For classified employees, complete probation evaluation forms and submit to Human Resources within the first six weeks.  For professional employees, a draft performance program should be discussed between employee and supervisor within the first 30 days, and a final program submitted to Human Resources within the first 45 days from hire.

Compliance Training. New employees will receive an email from the University Center for Training and Development regarding compliance training modules.  For questions, contact the University Center for Training and Development.

Binghamton Tradition. Offered twice per year, this session welcomes new employees and gives them an overview of our organization, our history of excellent customer service, and offers them a chance to meet staff from other areas of campus. 

Performance Management

Department chairs, managers and supervisors are responsible for assuring compliance with performance programs and evaluations for both classified and professional staff.

Professional (UUP non-teaching) Performance Program and Evaluation

Performance program and evaluation cycles for non-teaching professional staff.

Classified/Support Staff Performance Program and Evaluation

CSEA-OSU represented staff:  January 31 to January 30 annually

CSEA-ASU, CSEA-ISU, PEF and NYSCOPBA: March 1 to February 28 annually

Click here for the classified performance program and evaluation

For complete information, please contact the Associate Director of Human Resources, Sara DeClemente-Hammoud, 777-4939.  If you have questions about performance issues or expectations, contact Human Resources.

Temporary Extensions, Term Renewals and Non-Renewals (UUP Professionals)

Non-Renewal for UUP Professionals. As a supervisor, in the event that you are experiencing a performance issue with an employee, contact Human Resources as soon as an issue or question occurs.  Source information can be found:

Time and Attendance

Promotions, Reclassifications, Salary Increases

For UUP Professional employees, the windows for employee-initiated requests are January and June with the intent to improve workforce management and associated fiscal planning.  Department-initiated changes, especially associated with organizational changes, are considered outside the windows. Forms and instructions.


Employees and supervisors should contact Human Resources when an employee will be absent from work for an extended period of time for personal or family illness, surgery, maternity leave, chronic health conditions, etc. as they may qualify for certain benefits.  Human Resources will determine if medical documentation will be necessary and will receive such information directly.  Due to the confidential nature of medical documentation, employees have the option of providing this information directly to Human Resources, who in-turn will communicate that satisfactory documentation has been received. Review leave options available to university employees.

Leave Donation Program

Alternative Work Options

Flexible work schedule options which may be of interest to your professional or classified service support staff

Employee/Labor Relations

Negotiated agreements (including union contracts) establish labor and management rights and responsibilities; represent interests of both parties; guarantee the right to union access and representation; spell out union rights; and specify management rights.

As a supervisor, your responsibilities include:

  • Become familiar with the bargaining unit contract(s) which apply to your employees.
  • Make sure employees have assignments consistent with their performance programs and job classifications.
  • Make sure employees are evaluated on a regular basis. Evaluate employees honestly and properly, balance the positive with areas needing improvement, and offer suggestions for improvement.
  • Encourage employees in professional development initiatives and make sure they complete required training.
  • Treat employees consistently with regard to leaves, scheduling, privileges, etc. in accordance with the bargaining unit contract language under which they're covered.
  • Contact the Health and Safety and/or Internal Controls departments for issues involving work environment concerns or training needs.
  • Be aware of mandatory/employment law issues, such as time off without charge to leave credits/loss of pay.  Do not allow "flex time" not covered by policy such as telecommuting, etc.

When to contact Labor Relations staff in HR:

If you have a concern about an employee issue; if you recognize a situation that could be in conflict with contract language; or you have a question about contract language interpretation, contact Human Resources at extension 2187.  Examples could include time and attendance issues, performance evaluations, addressing grievances, interacting with unions, "past practice" claims, or inquiring about counseling/disciplinary action.

Exiting/Separating Employee

If an employee is resigning, or has not reported to work, contact Human Resources as soon as possible.  These situations could result in overpayments to employees and are a serious issue.  Overpayments may also adversely affect individual departmental budgets.

Policies and Union Agreements

Salary Schedules (salary ranges for campus bargaining units)

Personnel Files

To review your employee's personnel file, or to review the file of a current campus employee who has applied for a position within your department, make an appointment with Human Resources at 777-6952.