Tau Sigma is an academic honor society designed specifically to “recognize and promote the academic excellence and involvement of transfer students.” Binghamton University established the Alpha Omega chapter of Tau Sigma National Honor Society in 2007.
Objectives of the Alpha Omega Chapter of Tau Sigma
- Recognize the outstanding academic achievement of transfer students
- Provide motivation for the academic excellence of all incoming transfer students
- Provide a common bond among transfer students
- Promote the involvement of transfer students here at Binghamton University
- Form a group of students who can help the college or university address and meet the needs of incoming transfer students
Executive Board Officers:
President: Jeremy Masterson
Vice President: DavidBrennan
Secretary: Dylan Murray
Treasurer: Mieraan Haque
Advisor: Michael Henningsen
Director of Communication and Outreach: Leah Guan
Director of Social Events: Kaylee Dunn
Criteria for membership:
- The student must transfer to Binghamton University from another academic institution with at least 24 or more credits completed
- The student must be registered in a course of study leading to a Bachelor’s degree and full time status (12 credits)
- Membership to the organization shall be based upon superior academic achievement by students during their first term at Binghamton.
- The minimum academic GPA required for membership is a 3.50 or higher
- Eligibility requirements are based off of the first term of enrollment at Binghamton.
- Eligible students pay a one-time (lifetime) membership of $60, which includes membership certificate and honor cords
- Students are invited to join only once after their first term of enrollment.
Tau Sigma National Scholarship
Scholarships are awarded annually by the National Chapter ranging from $500 to $5000. An application is made available each fall and every local chapter may nominate at least one nominee to be sent on to the Tau Sigma National Scholarship Committee. Upon completing the evaluation of the applicants, scholarships will be announced in December and awarded in January.