A concentration recognizes the achievement of a deeper level of specialization within the Philosophy, Politics, and Law major.  It shows others (e.g., law schools, graduate programs, and potential employers) that you have accomplished sustained critical engagement with the concentration's area of study.  Our advisors and faculty are here to assist you through the process of determining your interests and desired fields of study.

We offer three unique undergraduate concentrations:

How do I declare a concentration?
To declare a concentration, complete the major declaration form.  We advise that you speak with a faculty advisor before declaring a concentration.

When do I declare a concentration?
You can declare a concentration at any time before graduation.

How do I graduate with a concentration?
Please see each of the concentration pages for details.  In general, students must take at least six courses (typically 24 credits) specifically directed to their concentration while completing the Philosophy, Politics, and Law major.  Students pursuing the Public Policy concentration will also need to take a statistics course and a quantitative analysis course.  Only classes in which a student receives a C- or higher can count towards concentration requirements.

Can transfer courses count towards a concentration requirement?
Transfer courses that are recognized by SUNY as equivalent [coursework transfers] to a Binghamton concentration-eligible class will count automatically towards the concentration.  Others require the approval of a PPL faculty advisor.  If you think you have taken a course that should count towards a concentration, please set up an appointment or drop in to open office hours [advising].  A copy of the course syllabus may be requested.