The Advisory Committee for Scholarship and Research (ACSR) promotes the development and growth of sponsored research and training programs throughout the University. ACSR is a joint committee between the Provost and the Faculty Senate as described in Article IV, Title B.2. of the Faculty Bylaws. ACSR advises the Vice President for Research (VPR) on all matters relating to research and scholarly activities, including allocations of funds supporting Organized Research Centers (ORCs) and Institutes, travel, publications, and other forms of internal support. For more details please see below or download the ACSR Policies and Procedures.
The membership of ACSR is determined by the faculty senate and the Provost's office on a biennial basis. The Director for Strategic Research Initiatives also serves as an ex-officio member of the committee. The Provost appoints the chair of ACSR.
- A. Serdar Atav (Faculty Senate)
Professor, Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Christopher Bishop (Chair and Faculty Senate)
Professor, Department of Psychology
- Daniel Davis (Provost Appointee)
Associate Professor, Department of Music, TAE Chair Material and Visual Worlds
- Tony Davis (Faculty Senate)
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Nicole Fenty (Faculty Senate)
Associate Professor, Department of Teaching, Learning, and Educational Leadership
- Eric Hoffman (Ex Officio)
Associate Dean for Research, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Murali Jagannathan (Ex Officio)
Associate Dean for Research, School of Management
- Carl Lipo (Ex Officio)
Associate Dean for Research, Harpur College of Arts and Sciences
- Kristina Marty (Ex Officio)
Associate Dean for Research, College of Community and Public Affairs
- Alexandra Moore (Provost Appointee)
Professor Department of English, TAE Chair Citizenship, Rights and Cultural Belonging
- Mark Poliks (Provost Appointee)
Professor, Department of Systems Science and Industrial Engineering, TAE Chair Smart Energy
- Xingye Qiao (Provost Appointee)
Associate Professor, Department of Mathematical Sciences
TAE Chair Data Sciences
- Gail Rattinger (Provost Appointee)
Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Assessment
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, TAE Chair Health Sciences
- Meera Sampath (Ex Officio)
Associate Dean for Research, Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science
- Sumantra Sarkar (Faculty Senate)
Associate Professor, School of Management
- Pam Stewart Fahs (Ex Officio)
Associate Dean, Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Kaiming Ye (Faculty Senate)
Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Sangwon Yoon (Provost Appointee)
Professor, Department of Systems Science and Industrial Engineering
- Organized Research Centers (ORC): A Call for New ORCs is distributed each Fall. ORCs are to be led by a tenured faculty member. ACSR reviews and ranks submissions. Recommendations are forwarded to the VPR for further action. ACSR may recommend that additional ad-hoc reviewers be added to the group to ensure that each proposal receives the appropriate review. ACSR reviews the productivity of the ORCs through the submission of an annual report and budget request. Please visit the ORC webpage for more informaiton.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration Grants Program: The ICG program announcement is distributed in Fall with proposals due in Spring. ACSR meets in the spring to review and rank proposals. Recommendations on awards are forwarded to the VPR for further action. ACSR may recommend that additional ad-hoc reviewers be added to the group to ensure that each proposal receives the appropriate review. ACSR may be called upon to review additional ICG grants arising out of the Transdisciplinary Areas of Excellence on an as-needed basis. For more information, please visit the ICG webpage.
- Review of interntal seed grants: The announcements for the S.H. Ho Foundation and Provost Award seed grants are distributed in the early fall with a submission deadline at the end of October. Recommendations on awards are forwarded to the President, Provost, and VPR.
- Limited Submission Opportunities: ACSR may be asked to review Letters of Intent for Limited Submission Opportunities, such as the National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation Program, on an as-needed basis.
- Other Activities as Requested by the Vice President for Research